Tooth Extraction

Denisha Cole
Denisha Cole Posts: 29 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in General Health

Any suggestions on home remedies to use after tooth extractions?

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Yes. Take a dose of homeopathic Arnica right before and another dose right afterwards. In a 200c potency if you can get it, otherwise a 30c. It will prevent swelling and bruising and will lessen any bleeding. Helps greatly with the pain. You may not even need pain meds after taking arnica. Myrrh tincture is awesome for rinsing your mouth and preventing infection. You might want to put it in a bit of water first. If you don't have myrrh, then Oregon Grape Root tincture would be my next choice. Also very antibacterial for the mouth. A simple salt water rinse is also beneficial.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

@Denisha Cole Has the extraction occurred? I take the homeopathic remedies: Arnica about 30-60 minutes before (a prophylactic for bleeding), Aconite about 10 minutes before (to keep my nerves down), Hypericum immediately after for injections and cutting. I would follow with Arnica or repeat one of the other remedies as needed.

The homeopathic remedy Hypericum is great after an extraction or any time there was a needle or nerve involved. Use any potency you have and repeat of the symptoms come back. If it's the right remedy, you should feel relief almost immediately. The homeopathic remedy Arnica as stated by @torey is also one to use if needed after the procedure.

I used to put a cold bag of peas (any vegetable will do) against the area of concern using a piece of fabric around it to keep the skin safe.

Be careful not to dislodge the blood clot that forms over the hole by rinsing too hard as you may end up with a dry socket. Ouch! The arnica and hypericum will help with that.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had dry socket. Yes, it hurts. Have Clove oil on hand as a temporary measure. That's what the dentist soaked a cotton ball in to insert into the extraction site.

• Denisha Cole
    edited September 2020

@RustBeltCowgirl I have clove oil!! I go in a couple weeks to get it done, just trying to be proactive!! Thanks!

• Denisha Cole

@frogvalley it has not happened yet, just being proactive. Thank you!

• Denisha Cole

@torey Thank you so much!

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

My hubby goes to an oral surgeon this week to get a wisdom tooth out. Timely post.

• HearthForYou
    HearthForYou Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

Bach Flower Rescue Remedy is also helpful to ease the trauma. Craniosacral therapy can help put your jaw and cranial bones back in place if they were pulled out of alignment.

After I had a wisdom tooth pulled, I found making love with my partner an extremely effective way to mitigate the pain - the pain actually disappeared. Find ways of increasing your oxytocin level - laughter is another way.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Wow @HearthForYou ! Now that's alternative medicine. Never heard of it, but I don't think my husband would object to trying it in under that circumstance, plus he might actively look for other things that would benefit from that treatment.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

If you're experiencing any bleeding at the sight Doc Jones recommends powdered cayenne. That should help the bleeding to stop. I would do a warm salt water gargle a couple times a day to help clean the area and dry the tissues. Also clove oil can be good at relieving pain in the mouth. I also would personally take echinacea tinctures, oregano oil in water and consume lots of garlic and extra vitamin C as well to help build up my immune system and fight off any off change of infection. Ice packs are your friend :). Prayers it goes well and you feel better soon!

• Denisha Cole

@karenjanicki Thank you very much!