Lemon/lime peels to make a medicinal oil?

bcabrobin
bcabrobin Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Herbal Medicine-Making

I know you can use lemon peels to make a cleaner but I'm looking to use them to add to an anti-fungal salve and not sure how to do it. I don't have lemongrass or lemon balm only the real lemons/limes.

Please help my brain can't figure out what to do!

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin
    edited September 2020

@bcabrobin

What were you thinking of using your lemon oil for?

Most essential oils are created through steam distillation with the exception of some of the citrus oils which are made by cold pressed extraction. I don't know how practical that would be for making it at home.

Dr. Oz has this recipe that might be somewhat similar to a lemon essential oil but is made by infusing the zest in olive oil. https://www.doctoroz.com/recipe/homemade-lemon-essential-oil

I love dried peel for cooking.

• bcabrobin
    bcabrobin Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

I was looking for a recipe for black drawing salve & one for anti-fungal. I keep seeing add lemon oil, not EO. It didn't say how you made the oil and the only thing I could think of was adding lemon peels to oil and let set. I have never heard of that, was wondering if it was a thing.

That info was what I was looking for! Thank you for the info. This is something I can do with the grand kids they will love it.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

Without seeing the recipe, I can only guess but they probably mean EO. Otherwise you can infuse the peels into whatever oil you are planning to use for the salve. You can probably tell which the recipe is referring to by how much it calls for. Essential oils are used by the drop.