Self-Heal Herb: A very important herb

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@silvertipgrizz I'm so glad you post these little info bites by Yarrow! Very knowledgeable herbalist! This is one of the longer ones.

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

Great video, we planted our first self-help plant this year. so excited to hear what you was for so many wonderful things.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one that I'd like to try to grow in pots!

• Ferg
    Ferg Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

@Mary Linda Bittle this grows like a weed in many places in the US. I like to dry them for future use. The flowers are beautiful!

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭

I love self heal. They are so beautiful. I harvested some from my yard and dried them. They were added to a gut healing tea blend.

• Ferg

I do as well; I still have some dried and was thinking what I'dlike to do with them. hmmm.

• Ferg

@silvertipgrizz I'm wondering why you tagged Yarrow? Yarrow is Achillea millefolium, and Heal-all/Self-heal is Prunella vulgaris. Do you use them together?

• Torey

I add self-heal to healing salves, as do other herbalist that I know.

Great idea to add to a tummy blend.

• twinspringsnc
    twinspringsnc Posts: 21 ✭✭✭

Thank you. Was not aware of this one. Love his videos.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ferg Yarrow is the herbologist guy doing the vid/training..

• Ferg

@silvertipgrizz Oh that is really interesting! (-:

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ferg If you watch some of his vids I think you will find him interesting and a very good teacher, and he covers a huge amount of plants.

• MelissaLynne
    MelissaLynne Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Great info! I have it growing around but never took advantage of it. I think I will start using it in teas.

• MissPatricia
    MissPatricia Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

I have never used it and don't really know what it is. Will have to grow it if I can so I can start using it. Does self-heal have another name?

• Torey

@MissPatricia Self-heal or Heal-all's Latin name is Prunella vulgaris in the Lamiaceae or Mint family. It was introduced from Europe and can be found almost everywhere. You can buy seeds for it but depending on where you live, it is a fairly common weed.

Here is a link to a plant identification page. https://linnet.geog.ubc.ca/Atlas/Atlas.aspx?sciname=Prunella%20vulgaris

You can click on the tabs underneath that say Species Information or Habitat/Range and they will open up to give you more info. There is a very good botanical description of the plant. Click on the tab underneath the photos that says "View all photos for this taxon" and it will show you more photos including one with fingers in the pic so you can see the size. If you click on the map it will open up to a larger view but unless you are in the PNW, the maps generally do not show other areas.

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

I’m letting self-heal self seed all through my garden. It’s not as aggressive as the native Oregon strawberry but is covering a lot of ground. My goal is to only have living mulch growing in my beds and the more medicinal ground covers the better! I have yet to actually use it for myself though and appreciate the reminder to try it out!

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I have seeds for self-heal. I will be starting my herbal starts to add to next year's herb garden. Thanks not just for the video but for the source. Such good information!

Strictly medicinals have several Herb Garden collections they sell at almost cost:

https://strictlymedicinalseeds.com/product/essential-medicinals-organic/

https://strictlymedicinalseeds.com/product/lifeline-medicinal-herb-garden-18-seed-packets-organic/I

The collection I purchased had self-heal as well as many other wonderful herbs:

Astragalus (Huang-qi), Orange Calendula, German Chamomile, True Comfrey, Echinacea angustifolia (Narrow-leaved Coneflower, Echinacea purpurea (Purple Coneflower)

Elecampane, English Lavender, Feverfew, Hyssop, Marshmallow, White Sage, Self Heal, Temperate Tulsi (Holy Basil), Valerian, and Yarrow.

What herbs do you grow?

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

I love self-heal's beautiful purple flowers and would love to have it growing more, but unfortunately just as things start to get interesting in the lawn, my partner mows everything down to the ground :(

Self-heal was one of the first herbs we learnt about at Naturopathic College - we went on a herb walk around the neighbourhood to identify "weeds" - it's always been one of my favourites since then :)

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Acequiamadre oh thank you for the recommendation for Strictly medicinal seeds. Several of the herbs you mentioned are ones I'd like to include in my medicinal garden bed for next year. And I'm looking for where I can purchase the seeds.

@silvertipgrizz I'm looking forward to seeing what other herbs/weeds he covers. I have so many weeds here in SC and I just wish I knew if they were beneficial or not. I have a feeling that several are very helpful, I just didn't have a way to find out until this. So thank you very much for your help in this area.😊

• brownjoelle
    brownjoelle Posts: 23 ✭✭✭

Thank you for making this video! I

I will try to find it near me or buy some. City dwellers like myself have to put in a bit more effort to find some of these herbs, but this one is really worth the effort. Loving ❤ gentle herbs that have a plethora of healing uses.

• KimMullen
    KimMullen Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

Very interesting! I need to add this one to my herb garden.