The WH physician says Trump has been treated with the following: 

— Remdesivir

— Regeneron REGN-COV2 antibody cocktail

— Zinc

— Vitamin D

— Pepcid

— Melatonin

— Aspirin

I was curious about the Melantonin. Why? What does it do to help treat Covid-19? So I found this: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32217117/ I usually have the around here anyway, but I may get some more for my medicine chest.

Comments

• Kelley
    Kelley Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

wish I had known that about melatonin a few years ago. I had ARD and felt like I was coughing up my toes I coughed so hard.

• rbusby01
    rbusby01 Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

I was wondering about the melatonin too, so thanks for sharing Vicki. It makes sense after reading about it. I'll add it along with the C and zinc and Elderberry!

• brownjoelle
    brownjoelle Posts: 23 ✭✭✭

No Vitamin C??? Has it shown to be non-effective against COVID-19?

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

My integrative doctor just sent out an email recommending Vitamin C, D, and zinc for coronavirus prevention.

Thanks for the melatonin info - I didn't know it helped with viruses...I may try some for my chronic Epstein-Barr virus.

BTW, Pepcid is also called famoditine. It is an H2 blocker and often used by people with mast cell activation syndrome...so it does more than work as an antacid. It is an anti-histamine though not really used for allergies.

• Brindy
    Brindy Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Very informative! I have also been told vitamin c, d and zinc. I was specifically told the vit d needs to be d3 with vitamin k in it. Also the zinc comes in so many forms, please do your research to see which one you feel right about.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vicky P thanks for sharing the Protocol. Very useful information.

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

Interesting. I did hear this on TV but didn't catch the melatonin. Need to read more of this paper. Thanks for sharing.

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

@brownjoelle it has been shown to be very effective - check the orthomolecular medicine website for press releases about the usefulness in COVID-19.

Also a study in Spain of vitamin D supplementation in COVID patients in ICU reported no deaths in those supplemented.

Here is a link to one of the press releases:

https://orthomolecular.activehosted.com/index.php?action=social&chash=82161242827b703e6acf9c726942a1e4.179&s=7c69af81909d23f144770db6673b7b9d

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

I didn't know that about melatonin! Thanks for the info.

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't either. We have used it for sleep and relaxation but I had no idea about it's other medicinal uses.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

I take all of those things routinely except the zinc. I've been meaning to order it but keep forgetting lol. There is really SO much information about so many things it's not surprising how many of us forget things. I made something this morning (food) and wasn't happy with the results. Afterward I remembered a lot of little things I did last time which is why I noted it was good. Then I looked at the date on that recipe and note (I try to keep a recipe journal). The data was from March of 2019! Then I didn't feel so bad. Maybe the zinc will help that also lol.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Zinc heals damaged tissues, aids in cellular repair and boosts the immune system. It is good for colds, flus or other conditions with similar symptoms. But it is also very good when one is under a great deal of stress. I would think that describes most of us right now. So zinc is maybe something that we should all be looking at more closely in our health regimes. Are we getting enough in our food and should we supplement.

This is a link that has a chart for the RDA of zinc for men, women, children, pregnancy and lactation. Info on the health benefits and foods that have the highest amounts of zinc. Lists types of zinc & how to figure out the amount of elemental zinc in your supplements, interactions and contraindications. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Zinc-HealthProfessional/

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

One theory on why children seem less likely to get sick from Covid is that they naturally produce a lot more melatonin . Apparently newborns produce very little- which explains why parents of newborns look so ragged out!

• Angel
    Angel Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

This is very interesting - I only knew about the benefits to sleep from melatonin. I know vitamin D has been seen as beneficial for just about everything, although if you are taking it in capsule form, it is possible to overdo it.

• happy-trails
    happy-trails Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

I never would have guessed Melatonin. Very interesting... I will have to dig into the research more! I love learning things like this! Thank you for sharing.

• annebeloncik
    annebeloncik Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

Melatonin gave me psychedelic, wacko dreams! I didn't know it was an anti-inflammatory, that is very cool.

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

I have used it (melatonin) for years for sleep, never gave me wacky dreams but I did find it seemed to get less effective if I used it nightly.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

That's fascinating! I wasn't aware of the myriad of melatonins potential health benefits. The others in the list weren't surprising but to use melatonin in the mix certainly was to me. Very cool!

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

Melatonin gives my daughter wacky dreams to the point she won't take it. I've had wacky dreams all my life so I can't say lol. How would I know? 😂

• Jack_Went_Splat
    Jack_Went_Splat Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

Melatonin has been on my radar for a while. Was concerned about using it early on due to the hormone classification. New information leads me to think it is safe to use. Now this is real thought provoking knowing now that Melatonin is a strong detoxification player.