Goldenrod Uses

Desiree
Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Herbal Medicine-Making

I seem to have grown a huge "crop" of goldenrod, well I should say I have a surprise huge crop of volunteers. Anyone have any quick tips on uses or should I just let the birds, bees and creatures have at it?

Comments

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Oh, sure! I just harvested some yesterday for someone who had issues with intestinal bleeding. I'd forgotten how pleasant it smells when steeping in tea.

Medicinal use of Goldenrod: Goldenrod is a safe and gentle remedy for a number of disorders. In particular, it is a valuable astringent remedy treating wounds and bleeding, whilst it is particularly useful in the treatment of urinary tract disorders, being used both for serious ailments such as nephritis and for more common problems such as cystitis. The plant contains saponins that are antifungal and act specifically against the Candida fungus which is the cause of vaginal and oral thrush. It also contains rutin which is used to treat capillary fragility, and phenolic glycosides which are anti-inflammatory. The leaves and flowering tops are anthelmintic, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, aromatic, astringent, carminative, diaphoretic, mildly diuretic, febrifuge and stimulant. A good vulnerary herb, it has also proved of value when used internally in the treatment of urinary infections, chronic catarrh, skin diseases, influenza, whooping cough, bladder and kidney stones etc. Due to its mild action, goldenrod is used to treat gastro-enteritis in children. It makes an excellent mouthwash in the treatment of thrush. The plant is gathered in the summer and dried for later use. The seed is anticoagulant, astringent and carminative. A homeopathic remedy is made from the plant. It is used in the treatment of kidney and bladder disorders, rheumatism and arthritis. http://www.naturalmedicinalherbs.net/herbs/s/solidago-virgaurea=goldenrod.php

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing that information. I am still learning and memorizing all the names of the Western herbal properties. I had to look this one up because I keep forgetting it - a vulnerary is an herb that helps in wound healing.

Sounds like a useful herb to keep on hand!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@judsoncarroll4 has pretty much covered the topic here. The only other thing I would add is the contraindications. There is another thread where they are posted. https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/comment/871576#Comment_871576

I would make all of the preparations with this plant. Infuse it in oil for making or adding to salves. Dry it for tea. Tincture it for internal use. Infuse it in honey.

• Wendy
    Wendy Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Goldenrod tea is used to relieve seasonal allergies. I made tea with the flowers and upper leaves and my runny/stuffy nose was dry in 15 minutes. It kept my allergies at bay for at least 6 hours.

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

Goldenrod also makes a great dye for natural fibers--I have gotten some lovely and deep yellow/golds with alum as the mordant and deep greens with iron on wool, paler colors on silk. Haven't had much luck with cotton though. I've used just the flower heads when going for yellow, and whole plant when going for green

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

Such great information! My son gets miserable seasonal allergies. Should I tincture it or dry it now for tea? It's everywhere. I'm assuming I should collect the flowers and top leaves?

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@Desiree Oh, wonderful----I would love a bounty like that growing next to me! All of the suggestions are great! Do all that you can, and leave a bit for the bees and critters.

• Desiree
    Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

@water2world I always only harvest what I can use for the season and leave the majority behind for the rest of creation. I did make a tincture and infused some in oil. I marked the location and will check on it next year, sometimes things come back and sometimes they don't. I have a patch of echinacea that volunteered many years ago, but it is small so I leave it to multiply before I harvest any. It started with just one or two plants growing amidst my pines in a very sheltered place, this year I counted about thirty plants. I have allowed nature to take over in so many places that I have to mark the spot when I identify stuff so that I can come back and see progress/loss.

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

I have used goldenrod and bee balm in a tea to treat sinus and allergy issues and it was very effective.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@Desiree Great idea to actually mark the locations! Ive been guilty of---"I think this is the spot"

• Wendy
    Wendy Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

@Megan Venturella I would tincture the goldenrod, then add it to tea as needed for allergies. I tried drying the flowers and they turned to fluff. Not sure if they could still be used that way, they ended up in my compost pile.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

And my bees love it! That is why I allow it to multiply naturally in my garden. I wait with harvest, as I want my bees to enjoy late summer blossoms.

Thank you for sharing information on the usefulness of goldenrod. It is much more useful than I have thought.

• Cherlynn
    Cherlynn Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Thank you Mary Rowe for mentioning that you add alum to it. I haven't added anything but the golden rod and it makes a very lovely brown. I will try adding alum next time to see a new color out of it. We didn't get much golden rod this year but everything was on the sparse side.