Suggestions for excess Lemon Balm?

Comments

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you all for the suggestions. This is awesome.😁

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

I made some lemon balm jelly last year by infusing lemon balm into the water called for in the recipe. People have requested more.

• fivelawrences
    fivelawrences Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

I love to tear the leaves and put it in my water. It gives it a lovely lemon-y flavor and scent without being too overpowering.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

Lemon Balm/Melissa is also good for growths (that you don't want). Here's an article that might get you drinking/eating some.

https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2018/fo/c8fo00446c#!divAbstract

Just think - you might get rid of something that you never had to worry about having just by having a cuppa.

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

It's good for chivkene too. We add it to the nesting boxes.

We make a calming tea for humans. :)

Great suggestions

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

Tea

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

Kombucha flavor too!

• spanthegulf
    spanthegulf Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

@Cornelius @JennyT Thank you for mentioning this bit about thyroid! I had a vague memory of this precaution, but not concrete enough to post. So many, in particular ladies it seems, deal with low thyroid. So do be careful with this until you know how it's going to impact you in that very important area! Externally -- such as with aromatherapy and mosquito repellent, no problem! Use and enjoy that rich lemon scent!

• Vicky M.
    Vicky M. Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

Lemon balm grows so well and taste so great. I enjoy a refreshing tea of fresh picked lemon balm and Tulsi throughout the summer months. Lemon balm makes a delightful vinegar to add to homemade dressings or use straight sprinkled on salads. I always have Lemon Balm tincture on hand in case of cold sores. Plant Lemon balm next to frequented walkways to enjoy lemony aromatherapy.

@Vicky Morris Thank you for your help in figuring out what to do with all my lemon balm.😊

• Melissa Burford
    Melissa Burford Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

I concur, use it in teas, tinctures, salves, sprays, and vinegars (to use as a hair rinse and for salad dressings).

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't tried lemon balm yet, but just got seed to grow some in the spring. Great hearing all the ways to use it even before I have any. And knowing that it is rather prolific will help when I plant it.

• marcy_northlightsfarm
    marcy_northlightsfarm Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

Lemon Balm as an herb can help with hyperactive thyroid, also called Graves Disease. This information was found in Ricoh Cech's book, Making Plant Medicine.

• flowerpower *
    flowerpower * Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

@twinspringsnc I like to sweeten my teas with half a teaspoon of raw honey unless it is late at night or I have had enough sweets for the day. Lemon balm tea is also great unsweetened since it is naturally faintly sweet. Really, that tea is so cheering. :)

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't grow any lemon balm this year but I bought seeds for next season. I love the way it smells. I mostly want it for tea blends but thanks everyone for sharing other unique ways to use this herb! A lemon balm pesto sounds delicious on fish!

• SandyMcWhoo?
    SandyMcWhoo? Posts: 15 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

I started 1 or 2 plants several years ago... Wow! this stuff self propagates like crazy lol. I have a beautiful stand of it and I find little patches growing here and there just about anywhere in my yard without my help. Im noticing that its pretty flowers are attractive to bees and butterflies. I do find that it has pleasant calming properties and helps me rest with some lavender and magnesium as a supplement. I usually gather it by the stalk, tie it in a bundle and hang to dry. Also, I have laid it upon paper towels and turned every so often while drying. From there I strip it and store in a mason jar for tea mixtures etc.

• LongTallDrink
    LongTallDrink Posts: 17 ✭✭✭

Good to know about the cold sore benefit - time to make a lemon lip balm!

I have chronic insomnia and find strong lemon balm tea right after supper is one of the best implements in my sleep toolbox.

@LongTallDrink That's encouraging to hear that it helps you with sleeping. There's a few in my household that could probably benefit from a cup before bed. Thanks for passing that info along.😊

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

😥 I could not get my lemon balm to grow this summer.

@KimWilson I'm sorry to hear that. I have plenty. If you PM me I can see if you're close and give you some. Hopefully it will do better next year for you.

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

Just yesterday a visiting family member did a lemon balm bath. Recently we purchased this massive tea "ball" from the local oriental store. It is a stainless steel canister 6.5 inches tall and in diameter. We harvested some fressh lemon balm and used that with some dried lemon balm and rose petals. They said it was an awesome bath and very stress reducing. I will also be using the tea ball for making my tea for the first ferment of my kombucha. I make 2-4 gallons of tea at a time and break the "rules of kombucha making" by using a variety of dried herbs in addition to a little bit of green tea leaves.

@tomandcara Wow that's a huge tea ball! I'm curious, did the leaves stay in, or did some leak out? I always have a hard time with tea balls and having some of the leaves escape. It's very cool that you said you use herbs in your kombucha. I make 5 gallons of kombucha every month. I never thought to use herbs in it. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

• tomandcara

@JennyT Here is a picture of the strainer. For the most part things stayed in , but the lemon balm seeds definitely slipped through the tiny holes

@tomandcara That is amazing. Where did you say you purchased it? Do you think you could PM me with the details. I'm in need of replacing my teal ball. When I make Kombucha I've always let the leaves float around then pour it into another pot that has a strainer. But using a big one like you have there would make it so that I don't have to dirty another pot. Clean up would be easier.

• tomandcara

@JennyT I had said I purchased it from an oriental market, In Denver Metro we have a number of different ones, from small family markets to large "super" stores. I purchased this from Pacific Oriental Market. It was $19.99. I like the idea of letting the herbs swim in the pond and this kind of keeps them inside the kiddie pool or some other swimming metaphor.

You might try searching online for something similar. I spent sometime doing that and found a number of options. My search term was "large stainless steel infuser basket" not in quotes in the search Good luck. the measurement on mine is 16 cm tall and diameter

@tomandcara Thanks. I'll research some more to see what I can find.

• tomandcara

@JennyT Please let us know what you find,

@tomandcara Yes, I can let you know what I'm able to find, no problem.😊

@tomandcara

@tomandcara So in my searching I found a couple just a little smaller(12cm-14cm) than the size of the one you have. There's one on Amazon but they have it listed as a, Tea Ball Strainer, Aramox Stainless Steel Soup Seasonings Separation Basket Spice Filter. I even found one on Walmart's website and they have it listed as a Tebru Seasonings Separation, Stainless Steel Tea Ball Strainer Soup Seasonings Separation Basket Spice Filter, Soup Separation. Mountain Rose Herbs also carries one called a Mesh Tea Ball Infuser.

I searched like you had said you looked "large stainless steel infuser basket." But I also looked with this "extra large tea infuser." So there are some good sized ones out there, it'll take a little more looking to try to find one like the size you have.

• tomandcara

@JennyT send me a message. Maybe we can work something out and I can ship one to you. There were only 2 left in the store when I last went there, so definitely can't make any promises