Good to read if you have goats

Megan Venturella
Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Goats & Sheep

Here’s an article with some good reminders I needed to do some troubleshooting!

Comments

• solarnoon.aspen
    solarnoon.aspen Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

thanks Megan

I've been learning this about other animals too as hay and grains just aren't what they used to be.

I'm thinking of getting some Nigerian goats but need time to learn lots more before I do. This has helped.

• Gil Montano
    Gil Montano Posts: 39 ✭✭✭

Could someone tell me what is the minimum space necessary to create a pair of goats? I am thinking of buying two goats but I am afraid that the space I have available to raise them is not enough

• Megan Venturella

@Gil Montano It depends on the size of the goat. I kept two Nigerian dwarf goats by the side of my house in what I’m guessing was 1000 square feet. It seemed to be plenty for them and they had things to climb on. I know a few other people who had slightly less space but take their goats on walks and hikes and go camping with them. If they can get enough exercise and you are careful to give them an adequate diet since they won’t be able to forage, it might work.

How much space do you have? Maybe post a picture too. :)

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

Great article @Megan Venturella

How do you offer minerals to your goats?

We top dress thier feed, since they've decided to knock down every free choice feeder we've made. :)

Life with goats 💜

• Megan Venturella

@Hassena I do a bit of that too! I used to mix some kelp in every day. Now I bought those little feeders that you can drill into the wall. Of course I found one of the babies standing in it yesterday! We’ve had more health issues, so I’m changing what I do over to what Pat Coleby recommends in her book on natural goat care. We are offering complete minerals, kelp, baking soda, and dolomite. I’m also going to buy powdered sulfur and copper sulfate. I just started soaking their grain in a little water and ACV, and then I stir in a little of the dolomite powder. I’ll see how that goes!

We started having mite problems recently and I think parasites are an issue too. There’s always something!

• How much of an area you need also depends on what breed of goat you are discussing. With the Nubians I had it didn't take all that much room as long as they had alfalfa lol. With Boer goats a 10,000 ACRE ranch is not big enough because they will get out. The last time I had to round up the Boer goats for my dad (small herd) I said that was it, they were going to auction. He agreed lol. That was when we switched to Nubians and the difference was so profound it seemed like they were not even the same species. Yes @Megan Venturella you are so right, there's always something lol.

• Only crazy people raise goats. If you aren't crazy when you start, you will be by the time you stop.

But baby goats are one of Earth's most adorable babies. And then you are hooked 😂.

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Thank you all for the information. My husband is determined we raise goats when we retire... I have many misgivings; such as the destructive nature, the health concerns, the Houdini escape acts....

@seeker.nancy - Central Texas states baby goats are the best adorable babies and I agree!!

Though goat milk and meat are a positive to raising goats.

Still not sold on it yet......

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

Hi @ltwickey

We have lamanchas and they haven't tried to escape. If you are looking to raise dairy goats perhaps consider minis, some folks do nigerians. Our herd is mixed if mini lamanchas and 2 does that are full size. They are sweet. And haven't tried to escape yet. It's only been a year. :)

@Megan Venturella On the down side we've battling mites all summer too. We didn't realize it was made until October so we've only started treatment a month and a half and we still need more treatments.

What have you been doing?

I'd love to share ideas. This post isn't about mites. So maybe a new discuss ion?

@ME

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have usually have had Nigerians and Pygmys. They seem to be a good mix and a good size to handle easily.

I prefer Goats to sheep. I will never have sheep again.

• Megan Venturella

@Denise Grant What is the downside to sheep? I saw a few lambs and was tempted... please talk me out of it.

• Monek Marie

My sheep were stupid and mean. (I got them from someone who did not spend enough time with them so that may be the main issue.) The mother I worked with so she was nicer but her baby was always nasty - you could not turn you back on her. She actually pulled my back out. I did not enjoy them at all, a lot of work without a lot of benefits for me. Now my border collie did like them!

You will also need to shear them or have them sheared. If I were to ever end up with more, and I really doubt that, they would be very small breeds. Sheep can get quite big and heavy. If you're after meat or fiber sheep are fine. Lambs are so cute!

The goats like to play with you and will follow you around. I get the small breeds. They get along with all my animals. My one goat in particular really likes my chickens and ducks. I got goats to help wity poison ivy and unwanted brush on the land but they quickly became entertainment. This new stock I am getting are for meat, dairy and breeding. The babies they produce are stunning. And they will still help clear land but that is not their main purpose this time.

I do believe there is a sheep class over in the academy. It might give you a better idea of what it involved.

• Megan Venturella

@Denise Grant I’ve been going through the duck class, I’ll have to see if there’s one for sheep too!

I met someone with Dorper sheep recently. They shed their wool whether you shear them or not, but I can see I need to carefully research breeds. It is very wet here and parasites are a huge issue, so that is another consideration as well.

Thanks for the warning!!

• Monek Marie

@Megan Venturella We have people her who love their sheep, so with me it could have been the two I got or their breed.

Tes, breeds make a huge difference in what you will have and choices you will need to make. A shedding sheep sounds interesting.

I am also working on the duck class. I have learned a lot

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant Speaking of ducks....I am wondering if they would be a profitable enterprise to add to the flock of chickens I already have. I don't have a ton of money to spend on animals that aren't going to pay their way, so do their eggs sell well? And are their any other tips anyone has?

• Monek Marie

@COWLOVINGIRL I would recommend taking the TGN duck class. It covers a lot.

In many ways ducks are easier to take care of. If you find a market for duck eggs they sell well. Bakers love them!

• COWLOVINGIRL

Sounds good I will!

• Monek Marie

@COWLOVINGIRL let me know what you decide on ducks

• COWLOVINGIRL

Okay, I will!

• COWLOVINGIRL

@Denise Grant I think I will (for now) learn all I can, but stick with chickens and garden and master that, before moving on. But you never know, I might change my mind when I see those adorable ducklings at the feed store:)