Sewing: Knowing How

dipat2005
dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Hobbies: Indoor & Outdoor

I am trying to download pictures of the Burrito style pillowcase but I am having problems. Here is the link I used to refresh my 10 year memory. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrYWCma9wgM

For some reason I am unable to download the pillowcase pictures. My computer is older and my phone is newer and they are just not compatible.

These are fun to make and even though they take me several days and more hours that it should they are a labor of love.

Comments

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

What a clever idea; thanks for posting. At first I could not figure out how that was going to turn into a pillowcase, but one she showed the pieces stitched together it was so obvious! A great way to use up sewing scraps.

• Jack_Went_Splat
    Jack_Went_Splat Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

@dipat2005 what pictures are you unsuccessfully trying to download? Maybe if you can post a link to the picture you are trying to download, it will be possible for me to get you a picture. That is if it is not a copyrighted picture. :o)

• dipat2005

@Jack_Went_Splat they are on my computer and saved. My computer is so slow that it won't download the pictures.

• dipat2005

@KimWilson so in your article on living off grid I mentioned it is important to know about sewing. The link above will show you the short process of how to make a pillowcase in under 10 minutes. It takes me a lot longer.

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

@dipat2005 thanks for sharing this! They are so simple! It has motived me to want to search through my material at home to make cute pillow cases for my granddaughter. She would love the butterflies in the video.

• dipat2005

@gardneto76 It was work no doubt about it but I also did French seams which for kids is the ideal thing. No more frayed hems or material.

• gardneto76

@dipat2005 She mentioned a serger hem. Not sure what she meant as I thought it was just a type of sewing machine. I was thinking of using the foot on mine that rolls and sews the edge down. Thought it might be a little neater for the side and top stitches. I have mastered a basic straight stitch and that’s it. I was able to do the rolled edging on the hem of a dress for my daughter’s wedding, and I was so proud of myself but it wasn’t perfect by any means.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dipat2005 Thank you for the video.. I love making pillow cases..

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

Here's a good link to easy sewing projects.

Sewing pajama bottoms are almost as easy as making pillow cases.

• dipat2005

@monica197 I actually hadn't thought about ribbon or lace. @RustBeltCowgirl I love these projects.

• annflancan
    annflancan Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

That was a clever video than you for posting. Looking to make a t-shirt, anyone know of any good easy to follow video?

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the posting! Great idea! With a new grandson, will have to start looking for "little boy" fabric to make him some!!

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

Uh oh! It wasn't me who wrote the article. I have been sewing for nearly 60 years.

• gardneto76

@RustBeltCowgirl I once tackled a Halloween costume for my oldest daughter 🤣😂. I thought this is such a simple pattern, it can’t be that hard. 2 hours later I called my mom in tears because it was the most messed up pair of pants I had ever seen in my life and I had no idea how to fix them. I wish I had a picture 😂. Clearly I laugh about it now almost 20 years later. Even my mom couldn’t figure out what I did wrong. I was very gun shy when it came to using patterns for many years, but I am getting better. I may just tackle one of these projects.