Halloween 2020

IrisB
IrisB Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Other News

How are you celebrating Halloween this year? Somehow it feels the whole of 2020 has been very scary and daunting.

Comments

• Granny Marie
    Granny Marie Posts: 53 ✭✭✭

We live way out in the country so it isn't an issue for us. Grandkids stop by for a while but that's about it. Not sure what I'd do if I lived in town.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

We don't do Halloween for a number of reasons.

Being out in the country, nobody has ever come by either, so the current situation will not affect us at all.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

We will not be handing anything out and our light will be off. Under the circumstances I think it most prudent for us to do that here. Each community and household is different so I cannot speak to any but my own lol.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have children or grandchildren, so any holiday is pretty much just another day.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

My neighbor was putting up Halloween decorations last week - blow up pumpkins & a blow up pirates ship as well as a huge spider web with a spider. I told her I felt like all of 2020 was Halloween!

We usually have kids come by Trick or Treating since we live in a subdivision. I don't know if anyone will let their kids go around this year or not but I have a couple bags of candy just in case.

I'm not a big Halloween person but my kids loved to dress up as princesses and such and go house to house for candy. One year I had a Dora the Explorer and a pack of Skittles. My daughter painted the Skittles package on some cardboard we'd gotten free from a warehouse store and wore it for her costume.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

My youngest son will be having his second birthday a couple of days before Halloween. The plan is to combine his birthday with Halloween fun so that the kids don't feel like they have missed out not being allowed to go house to house. We will be setting up harvest festival style games spaced out in the yard and having our niece and nephews over. We have told them to wear there costumes and they will get candy at "stations" around the yard. That way the kids are still having the costume and candy fun, but can safely social distance while enjoying time with family.

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

We won't be handing out Halloween candy this year. I'm surprised there hasn't been more in the news about communities clamping down on trick or treating.

• kfoto
    kfoto Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

I love hollows eve!! I haven’t decorated in a long while but for this year I’m going to lift my spirts. I love the day of the dead n skulls. To me this is a celebration to honor those whom have gone from this earth. So why not think outside the box and enjoy life to the fullest.

• AN1981
    AN1981 Posts: 18 ✭✭✭

This Halloween will be a bit different for sure. We don’t usually get trick-or-treaters, so not going to hand out candy, but my kids naturally want to go out. We might go to a trunk-or-treat? We went to our first one last year and it was lots of fun.

It’s super sad because this is one of our favorite holidays and now there’s not much to look forward to. Lots of people are passing this year. 😢

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

I have been celebrating by watching Halloween movies. My family won't be handing out candy and @stephanie447 I agree. I felt like someone (like Disney) would have posted something about this not being a good idea this year by now.

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

Pumpkin carving with friends and maybe adventures in apple cider donuts. Trying to make it special for the kids, even in these odd times.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

We usually have kids come by for candy on our street, but last year no one came, possibly due to weather. This year I don't expect anyone will go house to house so we are not making any plans for it.

We bought a moderate-sized pumpkin and turned it into four pumpkin pies and 47 pumpkin spice cupcakes. Some time this week I will get two more pumpkins and create jack-o-lanterns for each side of our front door.

I have never managed the trick of getting enough pumpkin for baking from my jack-o-lantern pumpkin. I cut off the top, then cut my baking pumpkin into 4 or five sections from top to bottom and bake it in the over for about 1 1/2 hours. Then I scrape the baked pumpkin material off the skins, run it through a blender or food processor to make a puree, and bake it in pies or cupcakes. So I have to have separate pumpkins for eating and for display. There is no lack of pumpkins for sale around here this year!

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

I'll say one thing I won't miss. When I was younger and living in Los Angeles, I went to a lot of "grown up" Hollywood parties. Nothing more annoying than being single and then running into those annoying couples with matching costumes (well, annoying if you are single!). Or all the wannabe actresses in LA trying to dress up all sexy! Won't miss that at all this Halloween! :-D

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

We are doing something similar, but with our "quaranteam." We'll stay on our property, but I'm putting together a scavenger hunt for the kids, and we'll have a different kind of candy at the place where they find each new clue so they can fill their baskets that way. Then we'll have crafts and activities for them at different stations. Trying to keep it safe, but also fun and memorable since the kids are still young.

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

When my husband's son visited us with his future wife and her 7 year old daughter a week ago, they carved a pumpkin - which promptly began to rot as our temperatures dropped. That's probably it for this year. We don't expect trick or treaters this far out in the country, plus with Covid cases climbing it wouldn't be safe anyway.