What do you use for wheezes?

Owl
Owl Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in General Health

My husband’s inhaler expired and his expiratory wheezes are impressive! I have a call in to the doctor but they are definitely going to make him come in before renewing the prescription. Meanwhile, I would LOVE to find something that would allow him to breathe and not require a trip to the pharmacy!

Comments

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

Quercetin, stinging nettles, and turmeric are natural anti-histamines. Reduce high-histamine foods (look online for a list).

• Owl

He takes goldenrod and stinging nettle with good antihistamine effect but I’m thinking more of a bronchodilator maybe. I don’t remember reading of anything but I’m still very new to this.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

If I remember correctly some use Mullein for asthma. Perhaps smoking it or doing an herbal steam. Double check with @torey. Also I found this article

https://healthwyze.org/reports/313-smoking-to-cure-lung-infections-and-for-good-lung-health

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Ah...and I have heard of a few things too for asthma. One is an essential oil that you can breathe in. I think Rosealee de la Forêt uses it. I just can't remember. I am so sorry. @torey most likely remembers, and knows about even more things you can try.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin
    edited October 2020

There are a few things you could try depending on the availability in your area.

Lobelia (Lobelia inflata) is a well known bronchodilator and antispasmodic. Take as a tincture. 7Song has a video as part of his Herbal First Aid course. Video 2 of the Materia Medica section. The discussion can be found at: https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/844864/7songs-herbal-first-aid-course-study-group/p1

Sweet Flag (Acorus calamus) is also a bronchodilator and anti-spasmodic. It can be taken as a tincture of the root or used in a smoking mixture. @judsoncarroll4 has done some experimenting with smoking mixtures and asthma. His results can be found in this discussion: https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/comment/876590#Comment_876590

Osha root (Ligusticum perteri) can be used for asthma. It improves the rate of oxygen exchange. Tincture or syrup. 7Song has a video on Osha as well. Video 12 of the Materia Medica section at the link above.

Ephedra (Ephedra sinica) is a TCM herb for asthma. Some of its compounds are found in pharmaceuticals (ephedrine) that are used to open the airways. Mormon Tea (Ephedra nevadensis or E. viridis) can be substituted but may not be as strong as the Asian variety.

Coltsfoot (Petasites species) is a commonly used herb for asthma. It can be taken in tincture, tea, syrup or added to a smoking mixture.

Thyme (Thymus vulgaris) is a bronchodilator. In this case a strong infusion might be helpful. Inhale the volatile oils from the tea as well as consume it.

When I am talking about smoking mixtures here, it is not like you are smoking a cigarette. A small amount in a pipe for one or two puffs. Or burn like incense and waft it towards yourself every few minutes.

Hope you find something that helps.

• karenjanicki

I have to say I enjoy reading your comments. You clearly know your stuff and your knowledge on the subject is extensive. I have been studying herbalism for about a year and a half and I still only feel mildly prepared. If I may ask how did learn? Did you go to school or were you an independent study? I would love to have such a comprehensive knowledge on the subject. Thanks!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@karenjanicki Thank you for your kind comments. I was brought up using herbal/alternate medicines as both my grandmother and mother were born before antibiotics and most other pharmaceuticals. So I grew up in that background. I was learning about plants like foxglove and aconite, as well as the milder ones, such as chamomile and dandelion, by the time I was 6. Since then I have studied through formal training courses via Dominion Herbal College and Wild Rose College. I am working on a Clinical Herbalist diploma at the moment through Wild Rose. I have taken workshops, classes and courses with a number of well-known herbalists, ethnobotanists and elders. I have studied an number of other modalities, including homeopathy and energy work. And lots of reading. I live in a very rural area so I am very fortunate to get to spend a lot of time in the wilderness getting to know the plants.

And I never stop learning. There are so many plants out there that I have no experience with. TGN's forum members keep me on my toes, for which I am very grateful.

Have you seen this? https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/845284/webinar-cultural-values-of-medicinal-plants#latest

• karenjanicki

Thank you for sharing with me. I'm still fairly new to all this. I was raised in a household that took otc meds and saw doctors on a rather frequent basis it seemed. I feel like my sisters and I were ill alot. We never got help or answers from doctors only a run around. I thank God I found herbalism. Treating the whole person and the cause of the problem over slapping a bandaid on symptoms. I read and study it alot but I'm far from where I want to be. I am hoping to work towards becoming a master herbalist. I just wish I had someone to mentor me in this journey. It's hard to even know where to really start.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin
    edited October 2020

I am having good results with calamus and lobelia, combined with skullcap and a pinch of tobacco and a smoking mixture. But, Dang Shen/Codonopsis has also been a huge help to me - I take it in tablet form, twice daily.

• Owl

Judsoncarrol, where do you buy your Dang Shen/Codonopsis tablets?