Deworming livestock

@RHV I posted something about worming colts using broadleaf plantain that should be fully safe & work equally as well for goats. Chances are, being that goats are a bit smaller than these guys were at the time, you should be able to feed less, but for the same length of time.

Here is the link: my post is the 7th. Ah...it looks like what you need pops up in the preview, so no need to scoot over there, I guess.

We did this daily for 2 weeks. These colts were very wormy. You know when they are done when they don't prefer it over anything else and there is no more evidence of worms in their poop...although with goats, they may just keep eating it. Haha

Vet Doc Jones should have something about this on his forum, homegrownherbalist.net. It is a very slow forum, but he gives good advice.

Comments

• marcy_northlightsfarm
    marcy_northlightsfarm Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

I am a bit skeptical, since the shedding of worms in poop is not always the best indicator that an infestation is over. Was the poop checked for worm eggs? Do you have a source for the use of broadleaf plantain as a wormer? I am just trying to learn more about this.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin
    edited June 2020

You can be skeptical. That is fair, but our results were very clear. The colts were very healthy (improved health) and it clearly showed. We never saw worms in the poop afterward...ever. If there are eggs, eventually there are more worms.

Plantain, as well as quite a few other herbs, are well known & fantastic dewormers. Some are very specific in their actions as to which worms they kill.

I first learned this through a site that I can no longer find, but you could discuss this with our herbalist members. @torey is but one here that is very knowledgeable about herbs, or even ask Doc Jones (herbalist vet) on his site that I mentioned, I am sure that they will confirm this property of plantain.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@marcy_northlightsfarm Welcome to the forum!

I am in agreement with @LaurieLovesLearning. It does take a lot of plantain but if you are consistent it will work. There are quite a few other effective herbal treatments for worms but most of them can be quite bitter so its a matter of getting something that they will eat. (Patient compliance) :) Plantain is pretty tasty, all things considered. And yes, some are very specific as to the type of parasites that they will effect. Some herbs are vermicides (kill the worms) and some are vermifuges (expel the worms). Some herbs will do both.

I would defer to Doc Jones' opinion, though, as he has much more experience and training with animals that i do.

• marcy_northlightsfarm
    marcy_northlightsfarm Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

Thank you @Torey and @LaurieLovesLearning

• An
    An Posts: 42 ✭✭

A safe and economic way to de worm is to use Cina 3x or c or 6x or c. It is a homeopathic and you simply place the pellets in the mouth of your animal if they are compliant or mix in water per this article once daily for 15 days and repeat in one month. I always give them starting 7 days before the full moon. Parasites are more active at the time of the full moon. This article has a snippet that is helpful as well.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@marcy_northlightsfarm We are always learning. I found this to be my big herbal moment that got me further researching the wonderful world of weeds & their usefulness.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

It is quite often difficult to find "x" potencies, at least at the health food stores I have been to. If you can find Cina, it will probably be in a 30c potency (maybe as low as 6c). Follow the same directions.

• I just want to mention two other methods for more natural deworming which can be especially effective with smaller animals: 1) Diatomaceous Earth and 2) Pumpkin seeds

Each one of these incredible materials and the methods that you utilize them probably deserve their own topics here, but I wanted to bring them up in case someone reading this hadn't heard of them yet and wanted to do some research on their own. Enjoy!

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

Great suggestions. We are use molly herbals and Land of Havilah to deworm the farm. Goats, chickens, cats and dogs.

We make a weekly dewormer tea and add it to thier water weekly. Plus doasbge balls with the herbs, fruit, molasses and probiotics weekly.

Its our first year. Hopefully our deworming program will be simplified once we are more established. Here are the links.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning Wow, thanks for this post. Plantain is an awesome plant and it regularly goes in my salad. I did a Google search on plantago major for parasites and it came up with some interesting articles. Seems that was used for parasites in Persia for centuries. My Dad used chewing tobacco to worm our goats.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited October 2020

@Tave Please share some of those articles if you can. Historical documentation in particular is always interesting.

I reviewed what I wrote and it seems like I neglected to mention that various common herbs (kitchen herbs) can also be used for deworming for specific worms.

Thyme is one such herb, but I don't remember the others nor the specifics. I wrote them down in case I forgot, but it was also put on a small piece of paper, and you know how that can go. 🤔

• twinspringsnc
    twinspringsnc Posts: 21 ✭✭✭

All great information. Any suggestions for cattle? Would the same apply for horses?

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning This was some very interesting information on how farmers use local herbs to keep the flocks healthy. The video was made in Southern India and seems to be for beginners. The Reedbird Farm article is quite technical.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited October 2020

@twinspringsnc The same would apply to both as far as plantain is concerned. However, the amount may vary depending on the weight of the animal.

We used the plantain on two yearling colts.

@Tave Excellent! Thank you for posting those articles.

I think sometimes we forget that there is both research done & great knowledge in other countries and languages. I found a lot of good herbal information for poultry in East Indian articles, just as one example.

Considering, searching for & learning from worldwide sources is important. We need to start changing how we search to expand our own database.

• Angel
    Angel Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

This is all very good information. We don't have large livestock yet, but maybe one day....And so I'm trying to learn all I can.