How to blur your house or homestead on Google Street View - and why you might want to

Marjory Wildcraft
Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin
edited October 2020 in Other News

I think this could be useful to some members of the community.

Google seems to know practically everything about you, so why not mess with it a bit for fun? LOL. But seriously, it could help security in some situations.

Comments

• Angel
    Angel Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

I didn't realize that Google maps could show your house (I am not very techy!). Thanks for sharing. I looked mine up, but fortunately, our street view doesn't show anything but the trees, so that is nice.

• flowerpower *
    flowerpower * Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

@Marjory Wildcraft Love the "mess with the unwanted tech" suggestion.

• Kelley
    Kelley Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

Awesome! Shared that with my family members

• Suburban Pioneer
    Suburban Pioneer Posts: 339 ✭✭✭

I'm going to review this with my husband, as he does the tech better than I do. Then we'll implement. Love the "messing with them" part. We didn't ask for our house to be displayed to the world, so why should Google get to spread this information to everyone?

• annflancan
    annflancan Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

This is a great tip for many reasons. Thank you for sharing this valuable information.

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

I checked mine, just trees. We are off the road. I find it creepy that they can show so much. I also don't like the idea that I can be physically tracked by using my cell phone. I am going to make a little faraday pouch to carry mine in. I don't know if they work as well as they are supposed to, but it is worth a try.

• Silkiemamuska
    Silkiemamuska Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

Is this only for street view? So aerial views would still show the entire building without blurring?

Curious if anyone knows or has completed this process. I am finishing a permaculture design course and use Google Earth for mapping the location for design.

• John
    John Posts: 163 ✭✭✭

Thanks-shared with friends and family.

• Good information thank you!!

• HearthForYou
    HearthForYou Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

That's great. Thank you. That's good to know, especially when "they" don't tell you what measures you can take for their actions.