South America, check in here!

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
edited November 2023 in South America

We, as members of the The Grow Network community, would like to give you a hearty welcome!

We put this list of questions together to help us get to know you better and to help you connect better with other members. Sharing your general location will help us understand what region you call home, and can help us give you more specific advice if needed. I also hope this can spark some new, local, in-person connections as well. (The remainder of the questions to follow are optional.)

a) What general region are you from? Do you know your growing zone?

b) How did you hear about The Grow Network?

c) Why did you decide to join TGN? For example, were you just browsing, hear about it from a friend, or did you sign up for any of our courses*?https://academy.thegrownetwork.com/

*If you are taking courses, you can ask questions and/or comment on them here:  https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/educational-opportunities. Please let us know your experience with your course(s) & let us know how can we encourage you!

d) What do you wish to learn from TGN and its members? How do you feel we can we best serve you and meet your needs?

e) Growing your own _____ is a journey of discovery & personal accomplishment.What goals do you want to accomplish within the next month? The next year?

f) Where does your knowledge/expertise/passion/skills lie with regards to growing your own food or growing your own medicine?

g) What else would you like to share with us (job, hobbies, animals, etc.)? A friendly reminder: please don't post any identifying information. It will get removed.

h) This is the extra fun part... jump in and browse our forum. We invite you to ask questions in the various categories that interest you, as well as share your knowledge! We love to learn together in our community. Your input is valuable.

Enjoy being a part of our vibrant community! 😀

**If you want to discuss region specific topics, feel free to post a new discussion in a new thread in "South America".

Comments

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

I live in Ecuador in a farming type of village.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in Bolivia. Thanks so much for this @LaurieLovesLearning.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Tave You are welcome!

• flowerpower *
    flowerpower * Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning Great idea for a SA welcome community! I hope to live part time in South America and the plants, flowers, medicines, and local foods are a big part of the attraction for me.

@Sharie Hi! What's growing in your garden at this season?

• flowerpower *

@Tave What sort of flowers do you like in your area?

• Tave
    edited October 2020

@flowerpower * My favorite flower here just finished blooming and I managed to get some seeds to try propagating it. It's called arbol paraíso (melia azedarach) and it smells similar to lilac. I just found out the fruit and seeds are highly poisonous and make a good natural insecticide. Other flowers include roses, geraniums, jacaranda, bougainvillea, gardenia, and a bunch more I haven't learned the names yet.

It's spring right now and we're anxiously waiting for the rainy season. The grapes have bloomed and the fruit is starting to form. I ate my first peach this season and it was awesome.

• flowerpower *
    edited October 2020

@Tave Thanks. I imagine the flowers are gorgeous in South America.

• Tave

The American Botanical Council is having a webinar about what we need to know about the Amazon in their Sustainable Herbs Program. I’m still struggling to learn the herbs used here in South America, but it’s worth the effort as local herbs are adapted to the growing conditions and don’t require international shipping.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited November 2020

Since our changes to this part of the forum are now complete, I would like to request any further posts in this thread now be introductions only. Any other discussion pertaining to this particular continent can now be made in it's own discussion thread. Woohoo! 🎉

@Tave, it would be great if you could create a new discussion post under South America about the ABC webinar so that it doesn't get lost in this particular thread.

If you have any questions, please pm me. Thanks!

• Tave

Got it:) Thank you

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

I totally missed seeing this post. I've spent the last two days planting seeds: many different peppers, tomatoes, kohlrabi, ground cherries, squash, etc. We harvested Butternut Squash, carrots, potatoes, cilantro, basil, a few tomatoes (working on that with 12 varieties to see what will do best), chard, lots of lettuce and arugula although we had competition with white butterflies laying eggs and the subsequent caterpillars eating more than we did, dill and one watermelon. We've amended the soil now so hopefully there will be more next time. I had a local guy plant yucca. I think that's the same as cassava. Super yummy and is basically storage food in the ground. The arugula re-seeded without any help and has spread outside of the garden which is fantastic! I love arugula!