uses for maitake (hen of the woods, sheepshead, Grifola frondosa)

A friend just dropped off a bag (4 lbs or so) of maitake mushrooms. I am planning to dehydrate some. Does anyone have any other good suggestions or recipes for using them?

Tagged:

Comments

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

It has medicinal values, you may want to dry some for that. You may also want to dry some for future use, culinarily. But, honestly... when I get a nice one, it is either a red meat roast or chicken soup. I mean, boil a chicken whole, on the bone (or roast it first if you want to save the fat and deepen the flavor), but either way, toss the mushrooms in there with the bird, and consider them the same. Either way, add onion, celery, a root veggie or two, parsley and thyme.... awesome with wonton soup, really good with most anything. Could be fantastic in a chicken or suck/goose/pork liver pate... the only thing is they can be a little tough sometimes, so, chop fine and cook long if you cook them. Baked apples, cored, stuffed with chicken livers, and the mushrooms, either cinnamon or thyme or sage, brandy, slow roasted..... basted in butter... yeah, that dish is actually as good as it sound! But, don't hesitate just to stuff a bird and roast it - you will not regret it!

• maryannfricko
    maryannfricko Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

I make a healing soup with a variety of mushrooms (whatever I have). Maitake is one of them. Just boil water and the mushrooms and add whatever seasoning you like.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a wonderful gift with so much potential!

Looking forward to hearing how you use it all