Lasagna Gardening

Has anyone tried lasagna gardening?

I am putting in raised beds this weekend, if weather permits. Its ther perfect time to make a lasagna garden with all the "found" materials this time of year.

My neighbor needs his leaves raked so I volunteered. He uses not chemicals so I will have pretty good composting materials. I also have four kinds of manure, sawdust, wood chips from the neighbors and my last lawn clippings

I used this method for years and I love the way it breaks down in to great healthy soil.

Has anyone used this method?

Comments

• MelissaLynne
    MelissaLynne Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

I haven’t yet, but plan to try that and elements of hugelkultur in the raised beds I am building for next spring. :)

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hugelkultur works very well in my area @MelissaLynne . I find it fascinating what different results you get from different mixes of wood

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I filled my raised bed using this method last year. I had used the bed in previous years but I wasn't happy with the soil. I had enough space to add a few layers. It worked out wonderfully. You will be happy with it.

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

That sounds like a good way to add nutrients to your soil! We have the material, and the raised bed.

• Monek Marie
    edited October 2020

This method works so well for me and my friends @naomi.kohlmeier . Its a great way to recycle composting materials and clean the yard.

Fall is a great time to make the beds with leaves but I have made a lasagna bed and used it the same day. (They recommend two weeks so it starts to break down but sometimes that just doesn't work)

If I use a lasagna bed before a few weeks , like the same day, I plant the plants or seeds in a soil or compost mix.

Lasagna beds to settle as they break down so I always pile material higher that I would want them later on

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I am experimenting with this method, but live in the high desert. Things don't break down here as in other areas.

I am hoping our winter snow provides enough moisture to allow everything to decompose for spring. If not, I will just dump a bunch of compost on top and go from there:).

I broadforked the area then added the hay from our chicken coup (hay +manure) leaves, grass, more chicken manure, pulverized eggshells (for calcium) azomite dust, more leaves, and grass cuttings. My think is to plan an early cover crop to see how things turned out.

In NM, I am not certain if this method will work. If it does it will save work of hauling things to our huge compost bin and then back to the beds. However, this method makes excellent soil, so if my son has to do it, he has to do it...

• Monek Marie

@Acequiamadre . I hope it works for you and it should. There are various things that help a pile to compost. Comfrey and yarrow are two plants that will help.

I would think a compost tea applied would help too

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

We had Michael Judd and his crew come down (he just live 30 minutes from our house) and put in lasagna gardening beds about a decade ago. They made swales and turned the front lawn into a place that any hippy would love. Lawns just aren't my thing. The swales followed the contour of the ground and remained viable for such a long time without having to water the garden. They have worn down and are slowly being replaced with raised beds or being planted with perennials like blueberry bushes as we find what works for us.

Our new dogs have forced us to reconsider how we garden as one eats anything with woody bark (he's great at making mulch so we never have to clean fallen tree branches), but hasn't learned that we actually want those living trees and bushes. The other dog is very big and just lumbers wherever he wants and more disappointing is the fact that he lies down anywhere, on top of anything. He's such a good old dog that he wins when it comes to letting him do what he wants. We just have to outsmart them by building up so they can't jump into the beds and putting electric fencing (not plugged in) around EVERYTHING. I think we may win soon.

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

@ Denise Grant 

Thanks for those idea. I will mix up and add some compost team and thing I just found a comfrey plant hiding behind some tarragon. I also have a ton of yarrow. How do you add in the yarrow? Into the tea? Ground into the beds? What purpose does the yarrow serve?

I also thought about covering the bed until we get some moisture.

Thanks for the idea.