Ginger Jungle

naomi.kohlmeier
naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Growing Medicinals

I tried growing ginger from rhisomes I bought in the store. They were labeled organic. I planted them as suggested and they were only reported to grow 3-4 ft tall. Mine grew to at least 5 feet or more, til I finally cut them back to about 2-1/2 feet. i've used a few 'thumbs' of it, but most of it seems to have spent its energy in the plant instead of producing an endless supply of ginger.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't really see an answer but the link below was interesting.

I would think if you trimmed the plant bnack it would encourage larger roots. Thtye are also heavy feeders so maybe more nutrients? Good luck. I am just starting some this week.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/gardening/a20705827/how-to-grow-ginger/

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin
    edited October 2020

I would think the same. That is what they do in greenhouses with the onions.

Also, is there a chance that the nitrogen content is too high in the soil?

I'll be starting some ginger shortly...or rather, it started, so I'd better give it a pot.

• naomi.kohlmeier

Good article @Denise Grant I probably planted mine too close to each other and I definitely did not feed it...@LaurieLovesLearning I will amend my ways and hopefully get a better crop in the future.

I do disagree with the author saying that ginger grows slowly. Mine grew rapidly, maybe 1/2 inch or so a day. It was fun to watch.

Good luck with growing your ginger, ladies!

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

digging up my ginger tomorrow to harvest and replant inside the house. It hasn't done particularly well outside this summer.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Love this thread. We have ginger that started itself, too. If I weren't busy clearing out the garden I'd plant it, but I'm keeping it in mind for next time.

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

I love ginger and am looking forward to planting my own once we settle in our forever home next year!! I have thought about planting indoors but have yet to try it.

Does it grow well indoors?

• Monek Marie

Some people have luck growing it. other do not. I killed my first attempt but it does well now. I think my soil mix was not right and I watered it too much

I would give it a try!

• spanthegulf
    spanthegulf Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

My outside ginger didn't do well at all this summer... I planted about a dozen and gradually each one "shrunk" and eventually died. I was able to coax one lonely turmeric to this point in a pot - now the pot is in the greenhouse. I think I'm going to try again with ginger, this time inside. @Denise Grant what soil mix are you using? Thanks!

• Monek Marie

@spanthegulf Hi! I have used both a houseplant mix or a high grade commercial potting soil mix with added compost I make myself. What ever soil I select I try to not have chemicals mixed in the blend. Commercial potting mix is a good base as it drains well and that seems to be a problem growing Ginger. If it does not drain well you get a root rot.

I would like to make my own potting mix for greenhouse use, but that is a winter project ;)

• naomi.kohlmeier

My memory was jogged yesterday when a customer was looking for a proofing mat for bread dough. I have a heating mat that came with my kombucha jars. I never used it for kombucha, but I did put it underneath the ginger when I planted it. Maybe that's why it got off to such a quick start and grew so tall.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Ah ha! The old heating mat under the ginger trick. Sounds like something to try because I've never heard of ginger growing that fast. Good for you and for all of us (if it works).

I seem to be able to grow avocados quicker than the guys on Youtube. Can't identify why. I don't have a grow mat. The only thing that went bad was a storm one day that killed it down to the roots, but it came back just as big in a few months. Really weird for me to grow anything better than anybody.

• Momma Mo
    Momma Mo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

I had ginger that was growing well until the chickens discovered them. I am going to try again next year!

• Elizabeth Voss
    Elizabeth Voss Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

Great - had no luck but just ordered a heating mat yesterday for seeds and will give ginger a shot - this will save me lot of money if i can get the ginger going - its a favourtife of mne for tea - thanks for sharign!