Funny signs: Why proofreading is important

Does anyone here have any examples of poor proofreading/spelling that you have seen on signs that changes their meaning? Some can be quite entertaining. I have seen a few here & there.

On Instagram, TGN had a post talking about making slaves (salves) that work. I commented that my kids might think that they are just those slaves. ;)

This one is not mine, however, credit is found in the watermark. I left the top comments intact since this is how we saw it.

Please post other signs that you have seen (whether by comment or picture) that you have enjoyed. Nothing offensive, please.

Tagged:

Comments

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Too funny. I see these posted on the internet, but am not fortunate enough to see them myself!!

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am one of those people who instinctively try to proofread everything, so I will keep my eyes open for funny ones.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

Yes, me too. Sometimes that drive makes things interesting, & sometimes it is frustrating.

I find it sad when it is on a news broadcast or in a paper, you know, official stuff where they get paid for proper writing & communication.

I am looking forward to seeing some more entertaining posts in this thread.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago I was reading the little local newspaper (award-winning, no less!). The most popular section was the local columns where all the small town gossip, news, and speculation was printed. The headline of an article about the return of a world-traveler who shared her good Belgian candy with her sister read, "Chocoholic Sister Receives Big Teat".

The editor took the resulting kidding with good cheer. In the next editorial, he thanked everyone who had contacted him, keeping him "abreast" of the error.

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

"Satanise your hands" haha. I'm sure there are some folks who consider the chemicals in hand sanitizer to be Satanic. :-)

• marcy_northlightsfarm
    marcy_northlightsfarm Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

We thought this sign was kinda funny. It was posted behind this massive toaster in a hotel in Italy.

It says "NO TOAST!!!! SOLO PANE - ONLY BREAD

• Melissa Burford
    Melissa Burford Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

Those are pretty funny.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

A sign on a construction site translated into Spanish was hilarious. I wish I had taken a picture. Translated back into English, one of the rules said, "don't work without your coconut (hard hat)."

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

I have seen these but I don't have any pics. They are so funny!