What is the best app to identify plants and trees

DurwardPless
DurwardPless Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Is there a good app to identify plants or trees. I have not had any experience or education concerning the subject and figure this is the best way to start.

Comments

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭

I use plantnet. It's pretty good. I have compared it with plants that I already know to see how accurate it is and it seems to be right the majority of the time. It can be helpful and it's fun and easy to use. But I definitely wouldn't rely on it as far as things I want to consume goes. There are too many potential mix ups for that to be safe.

• AngelaOston
    AngelaOston Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

I downloaded eight different ones and was trying to figure oit what was good before i stuck woth one. So good know this is a good one. Looks like i have to brush up on my latin though.

• DurwardPless

Thank you @karenjanicki and @AngelaOston! I have installed the app and plan to use it tomorrow. So, if PlantNet says the plant is such-and-such, what is the best place online to check it out.

DDP

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also use PlantNet. When it gives me an identification that looks right, I look up the scientific name on Google or Wikipedia to get more information to verify if the identification was correct.

• DurwardPless

Thank you @Tave I thought maybe there was a site dedicated to plants that everyone uses. Still learning how to study after all these years.

DDP

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DurwardPless I wish:) A search for a plant identification website takes you to PlantNet.

• Desiree
    Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

I use a FaceBook group called Plant Identification for one resource. They are a pretty strict group of plant id ONLY but they are pretty quick and accurate and cover a global base.

Most plant identification apps can give false identifications so be very careful and don't rely only on the app. I personally prefer to have several (and many) identification sources before I will say, yep! that what that is.

• DurwardPless
    edited February 2021

@Desiree Thank you for posting about the facebook group to identify plants. People helping people, how wonderful.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love this post. I've been looking for something to help me identify pants in my area. And have had no luck, not even trail guides. Going to check out what's been mentioned. Thanks for posting @DurwardPless.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you. I will check this app out as well!