Boosting Your Food Security

COWLOVINGIRL
COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in COVID-19/Coronavirus

Here is a podcast episode that I thought might be a help to those of you that don't have a lot of land, but still want to boost your food security. Have a nice listen!

Comments

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing this. There's always something we can do. :)

• COWLOVINGIRL

Hassena I totally agree!

• John
    John Posts: 163 ✭✭✭

Super! Always something we can do and learn. Way to go! :)

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

I recently started growing microgreens. Fast growing, super nutritious, I'm growing them indoors and they take up hardly any space.

• MissPatricia
    MissPatricia Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Good advice for so many who have not yet started on the road to being prepared. I am not hoarding, but I am trying to have a few extra of things that I may not be able to purchase during an emergency: coffee, sugar, salt, oil, paper goods that I deem necessary (I don't use a lot except for facial tissues); then I am trying to grow more food, planting a fall crop, canning or preserving what I can. I have already bought 50 lbs. of wheat berries. I put in more grape vines this year, and will be adding some blackberries this fall. I lost my chicken flock last fall, but I need to make my corral safe for them before I can replace them.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

All great suggestions in the podcast.

I think one of the most important things you can do for food security besides growing/raising your own food is to source local foods. As hard as you try, even with a large amount of land it is difficult to produce everything you might need. Make friends with producers/farmers/ranchers in your area so that you know what food will be available during which seasons and get on their regular list for products. When you support local producers you are supporting local food security for your community as well as yourself. You will also get to know which producers are operating organically and/or ethically. Important considerations for food security. Often you can barter with local producers as well. You have an apple tree that is loaded with excess and can trade that off for some meat, eggs or hay for your goats.

Not sure what part of Wyoming the presenter is from but in my experience, it doesn't matter what the climate is, you will be able to find local growers. I am much further north in a similar climate and the selection we have available is awesome. Every type of meat is available. Poultry of all kinds, pork (including farmed wild boar), lamb, goat, beef, bison, Several large market gardens (some certified organic), at least two apple orchards, berry farms (I'm picking up my strawberries today, raspberries already in the freezer), everyone has eggs and many of these producers have value-added products as well. Jams, pickles, vinegar, kraut, smoked meat products, etc. Even in places like the Yukon and Alaska, you can find local producers. You might have to dig a bit deeper or expand your search parameters but local producers are out there.

If you dig really deep you might find some of those clandestine producers of things like (dare I say it) raw milk or perhaps someone who has a still.

• Elizabeth Voss
    Elizabeth Voss Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

Thank you @COWLOVINGIRL - alwasy looking for inspiration - when this year is my first time to grow from seed, (last year only herbs) - so good advice very welcome!!

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing!

• COWLOVINGIRL

Your Welcome @Michelle D!