MY KNITTING JOURNEY

So, I thought it would be fun to kinda document my whole journey of learning how to knit! I just recently truly learned (I say truly because I've dabbled with it before) how to knit and purl and I'm excited to learn new stitches, and try new projects!

Tagged:

Comments

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now, is the time to play with dishcloths and potholders. Small enough to learn a new stitch and not big enough to get boring quick.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

I learned to knit from a friend who was left handed - I'm right handed. I don't knit very often anymore but when I do I have to watch a youtube video to remind myself b/c I learned differently than everyone else! It's not hard though. I agree make dishcloths and potholders to learn. I used to knit sweaters but haven't done that in a long time.

One tip - even though you've worked hard at it if you make a mistake don't be afraid to take it out and start that section over. My friend, who taught me to knit, used to work at a yarn shop and she'd have to take out rows for ladies b/c they'd won't do it themselves. Then she'd get them started again.

Good luck and have fun!

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

I am a novice knitting needle knitter. I prefer crochet, but have recently gotten into loom knotting and LOVE it!! Still learning the different stitches, but much easier for me to understand and handle!!

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

That's great!

• COWLOVINGIRL

Thank you @kbmbillups1!

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knitting is so much fun. I knitted lots of sweaters and can no longer knit. My Grandmother tried to teach me to crochet but that didn't work well. It was fun to use a chain stitch to sew sweaters together though. I use very small crochet needles now when things need repair.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    edited October 2020
  • Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I have taken several courses on craftsy.com. I often need to review (e.g. watch it over an dover), and they are helpful to improve technique. This weekend, all classes are 50% off. You can pick up a knitting class for about 15$.

It is about time to begin knitting for the holidays. What are you working on?

• COWLOVINGIRL

Well, at this very moment I'm making really cute & easy baby booties!

• Sydarta
    Sydarta Posts: 45 ✭✭✭

@COWLOVINGIRL this is supercool! Feeling inspired by your journey! I've had my O'ma's knitting needles for 30 years, but always preferred to use her crochet hooks on account of the needles clicking together bothering me so much. Maybe it's time to give it another try, and make adjustments in technique so the tips don't make contact. A challenge for the winter! And those booties are adorable!!!

• Sydarta

@kbmbillups1 my long-suffering, right-handed O'ma tried to teach short-tempered, left-handed me to crochet for years without success; until she finally taught my long-winded, left-handed uncle how- so HE could teach me. It was quite entertaining watching him hunched over the tiny hook with his huge hands! lol

• spanthegulf
    spanthegulf Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

I began learning to knit a few years ago and just love it! I agree with @Acequiamadre -- Craftsy.com is a great resource. I've taken several classes (always on sale!) from them. Jump in and enjoy!!!

• COWLOVINGIRL

Thanks @spanthegulf! I'll check it out!

• COWLOVINGIRL

@Sydarta you can do it!!! And maybe try using wooden needles, maybe that would help with the clicking????

• Sydarta

@COWLOVINGIRL Oh my goodness you are a genius, I 'd never thought of that! All of my inherited needles are aluminum but I do have some bamboo sets from thrift shops and yard sales. Wow, this could be a game-changer as far as clacking; it's odd that never occurred to me because I switched from aluminum to bamboo & wooden crochet hooks and they feel so much better to the touch!

Seriously, thank you for this thread, for inspiring me to get back to precious calming crocheting!!! This summer was just weird and gross and the first drought I have ever encountered (in MAINE!) and crocheting was not appealing. But it's finally fully autumnal chilly here, so WOOHOO crochet-and-maybe-even-knit-o-rama!!!

How are the baby booties progressing?

• COWLOVINGIRL

@Sydarta I'm so glad I could help you! As for the booties, I finished them! I will try to get a picture on here to show you. They were my first time actually following a pattern, but I did it! Next I am making a small blanket using the tumbling blocks stitch.

P.S. I get what you're saying about the drought, we had it too.

• tilathehunn
    tilathehunn Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

Have fun! Next you'll have to get sheep and learn to dye and spin your own wool. Just kidding, sort of. I would love to do that. Yarn is expensive.

• Wendy
    Wendy Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

I have been knitting for over 40 years, I learned at age 10 and really picked it up in my 20's as a mom. Congrats! Keep practicing and you will be able make anything you choose. One of my favorite websites is Ravelry for the community, patterns, and expertise offered.

I am making my daughter her third sweater, as requested each year for her December birthday.

• Sydarta

@COWLOVINGIRL wow you're moving right along , that's fabulous!! A blanket is a bit bigger challenge than booties, even a small one! You mentioned that the booties were your first time using a pattern- do you find it possible to improvise and sculpt with knitting?

Gotta get my gear out! It's always so satisfying creating something! One or two funny little sticks and some balls of yarn make hours of fun and something lovely when done : )

P.S. Droughts are so scary! As if this year was not stressful enough for everyone.

• Sydarta

That's so cool it's reversible! Which size are you making? What color? Have you started yet?

I've been organizing my crochet and can't seem to locate the knitting needles; they'll turn up eventually and I'll join you on your journey of learning to knit. And purl.

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

I have taught myself to knit and crochet some very basic stitches. @COWLOVINGIRL That blanket is amazing but I am to scared to try it! I have probably ripped out more stitches than I have kept in projects. I really love hairpin lace looms. I can make strips to complete a blanket fairly quickly, then stitch the rows together.

I watch for sales on yarn, or Craigslist, thrift stores, Nextdoor app, and other listings from second hand stores. You can find packages on there from time to time.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a link to easy knit projects.

@COWLOVINGIRL There's a sock pattern in the list.

• COWLOVINGIRL

OOOOOOO thanks! I'll check it out!

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made my first knitted top whern I was 8. I was home sick for several weeks and my mother gave me knitting needles and balls of yarn to keep me busy.

The top was more of a pull over and I added strips on the top with buttons to hold it on my shoulders. It was full of mistakes but I made it and wore it to school when I went back. My classmates were amazed I made it and even if it was quite "unique" I was proud of it. I wish I had kept it.

I found a deal on yarn yesterday. It was listed in our local weekly guide or advertising paper. Carft magaizes, a few knitting books, needles, sewing items and over 22 totes of yarn of all kinds! I paid $100 dollars for all of it, more than I would ike to spend right now but the yarn! Every color you can imagine. My moehr and I will be busy for a year. I packed up two bags for my niece who has got started knitting and crocheting and she was thrilled. At the cost of yard I love to find it at sales or auctions

I had a real challenge getting all of this in my var in one trip but I did it. The man who I bought it from kept telling me it would noty all fit in my car. My response was "I am a master packer, it will fit." Every inch of the car was full. And who needs to see out of the back window anyways?

• spanthegulf

Oh my goodness! I just finished knitting this! It's a great (and free!) pattern! Looks difficult but its not... knit, purl and a lot of pattern repeats! I still need to weave in my ends and block it... then pack it up to send to my daughter in Miami for a sofa throw. Enjoy the process, @COWLOVINGIRL !

• spanthegulf

Wow... what a find! Now time to dig out all those "stash buster" patterns! Enjoy!

• spanthegulf

@gardneto76 truly... this is the simplest pattern! I just finished knitting it... my first ever blanket. Don't worry about ripping out stitches. Sure, that can get frustrating, but the recommended yarn is a very forgiving acryllic, and relatively cheap to boot. If you like lace, you obviously have an adventurous bent. Me too... one of my first projects was a "way past my skill level" Scottich shawl pattern... a "hap". I took a class off Craftsy, and seriously ripped out the center block at least a dozen times... and it was simple knit/purl! But I stuck with it and 2 years later completed it and had such a sense of victory and satisfaction. Trust me... this blanket is soooooo much easier! Learn to use a "life line". You can do this!

• spanthegulf

@Sydarta -- yes, bamboo needles are the best! In fact, since I've begun using "points" and "cables" (short interchangeable needles that screw onto a nylon cable), I don't think I'll ever go back to my metal straight needles again! They're not cheap, but if you can, try to find a set that offers a collection of various sized needles and multiple cables of varying lengths. It's a bit of an outlay up front, but I think it is saving me a bunch in the long run... to say nothing of the hassle of having to run to the store for a new set of needles when a project calls for a size I don't yet have. Happy knitting!