treadle sewing machine

Gail H
Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have (and use) a treadle sewing machine? Do you like it? I saw one on Craigslist for $150. The brand appears to be New Home and the ad says that it needs a new belt. Could I get something like that at a machine shop? Do old machines do a straight stitch or a chain stitch?

Lehman's has a modern machine with a custom made cabinet, but it is really expensive! They are also back ordered for the foreseeable future, so that's not an option for a lot of reasons.

Tagged:

Comments

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would so love to be able to get one! My mom and grandmother made a good amount of money making clothing for people when I was a kid. They both used treadle machines until sometime in the 1960s. I thing they both regretted "upgrading".

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin
    edited October 2020

@Gail H I have an old, beautiful treadle Singer in perfect working order, & with all of its bells & whistles & manual, that I was able to buy for $100 Cdn.

Unfortunately right now it is in storage due to lack of space in our little house with so many kids (and related "stuff").

I wish that I could give you an experienced answer.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I just sold my treadle. It was a Singer and also in very good shape, When I got it, it needed a belt but my mum was able to get one for me at a Singer store (in a bigger city). I bought it for $150 over 25 years ago and just sold it for $150 to my neighbour. I am not a sewer, so I never really used it much and it was taking up valuable space. I really hated to part with it but because it was just going to a neighbour, I still have access if I ever need it.

I have never heard of the New Home brand but it might take a Singer belt. Singer is just such a big name that it has survived where other companies might not. I'd ask questions about whether or not it is compatible with other machines. Then you could get other parts if necessary.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

My home economics class in the 1960s had Singer treadle machines. Since you provide the power, it is easy to stop immediately. I still love those machines but don't have one.

I inherited a 1950s era electrical Singer machine with table. I like the machine because it is as old as I am and still works. However, I use the table with my newer, fancier Brother machine, although I am a novice at the sewing crafts.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gail H As long as you still have the old belt, you might be able to find a shop that can match it. Or see if there is an online shop that will make custom belts. I know Dad has a vendor that he contacts when he needs gaskets for some of the antique boats that he works on.

• MelissaLynne
    MelissaLynne Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

I have a singer treadle with an electric modification in my collection-it can be used either way. I haven’t used it yet though due to lack of space to set it up. I need to get rid of some things and get my sewing/craft/project room organized before I can try it out. It was a gift from a sewing friend that had collected too many machines. Lol.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

That's cool. I wanted to get one but I couldn't find one that was affordable anywhere near me. I'd like to learn how to sew my own clothing but at this point I've only ever hand sewn on buttons. I would go for it personally.

• Margaret
    Margaret Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

Google for a belt. I have a singer that I bought last year. There is a man in the adjacent town that sells belts and parts and does tune ups. I know there are belts available online. You might also be able to locate an owners manual.