More on the Murder Hornet (Good News)

VickiP
VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

From Mike Baker on Twitter: Entomologists have found an Asian giant hornet nest — the first located in the United States. They found it after capturing live hornets and attaching radio trackers.

Plan is to eradicate it tomorrow.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/02/us/asian-giant-hornet-washington.html

Comments

• Suburban Pioneer
    Suburban Pioneer Posts: 339 ✭✭✭

Thanks, Mike, for keeping up on this. I've been worried they might evade detection and make their way here to Boise. Good work on the part of the entomologists! Eliminate those suckers! People I've talked to are far too complacent that "somebody will do something about them" and they'll never become a problem. I hope they're right, but it never pays to take these things for granted.

• VickiP

They did eradicate the nest. I saw pictures of them geared up, it looked like a scifi movie. They concluded it probably isn't the only one out there but it's a start.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

I'm glad to hear they destroyed it. It could become a very serious problem otherwise. They'll need to keep up the search though to make sure they get any others that may still be out there.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

I read that there were also some in Canada and that DNA tests from two different hives confirmed that there has been at least two separate introductions to the area. The questions are where are they coming from and how did they get here? I can't wait to find out the answer.

• VickiP

I agree! How on earth could these things be introduced? It's not like they could hide in baggage or a purse, accidentally in a gift or something. I really can't imagine.