Water Buffalo

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Here is a corresponding link. What an interesting story about raising water buffalo in Venezuela.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

For anyone in BC, this is a link to the Water Buffalo Producers of BC. http://www.bcwbpa.com/ There are currently 4 water buffalo farms listed and a cheese maker. I don't think you can buy milk at any of them but you can buy yogurt, cheese, gelato and meat. But check to see: they might be allowed to sell milk. I know I will be checking out the cheese next time I am on Vancouver Island.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

@torey Let me know what the cheese is like.

Personally, I would like to try raising reindeer & water buffalo. Reindeer would do well here, but is not allowed within MB. I have no idea how water buffalo would do.

• Torey

All of the farms listed are on Vancouver Island except for one in the Lower Mainland. So I'm thinking that they need a milder climate. , but I could be wrong.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@LaurieLovesLearning & @torey I believe water buffalo thrive in warm, wet climates. We have a reasonably local producer, just south and on the coast. They do local farmers markets, last time we came across them, we bought sausages and labne cheese. The sausages were ok, the labne to die for.

A mate of mine, has folks in Queensland that switched over from a jersey dairy to milking buffalo. The milk is sold to a cheese making company and they make award winning buffalo mozzarella.

The wild water buffalo in Australia, live in (NT) Northern Territory and it is bloody hot and usually bloody wet!

• Torey

I guess that is why they are called "water" buffalo. :) Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland aren't what I would call hot but they don't get much for winter; the occasional frosty spell and the odd snowfall that rarely stays for any length of time. But both locations are wet. Semi-temperate rain forest. I am putting this on my list of things to do the next time I am on the Island; visit a water buffalo farm that has farm gate sales.

@jodienancarrow Did the meat have a strong flavour? I know it is hard to tell in sausage. Although, I had some llama sausage and could certainly tell that it wasn't regular beef/pork sausage. Didn't care for it personally and don't think I would like any of the cuts of meat. I'm not usually fussy and will eat just about anything but it reminded me of old, strong mutton.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@torey I guess if I hadn't known the sausage was buffalo, I probably wouldn't have picked it. Although it was a little "gamey". Years ago I did try buffalo salami and it was magnificent. I reckon if you had a buffalo steak, you'd know about it. Maybe some cooking tips for beginners!