Silkie/Salmon faverolle mix chicks - would you call these "splash"?

Hello all chick and chicken lovers! I have been hatching out silkies and silkie mixes and have seen some cute outcomes so far. The picture is if 4 week old chicks. What color would you call these? Splash?

I think it is funny to note that when the faverolle chicks hatched their legs were not blue, they have pigmented as they age.

It would be so funny if they retained silkie head feathers but so far none of the silkie mixes that I sold have as they grew out of the baby fluff.

Tagged:

Comments

• MelissaLynne
    MelissaLynne Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

that chick looks “splashy” to me, but it is hard to know until they grow out into adult feathers. The feather patterns often change.

cute chicks!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

Yes, I would agree with Melissa. It appears splash like, but that could change, especially since it is a cross and not just a variation of black/blue.

I thought that I had bought a purebred partridge silkie rooster this spring, but his color was a bit off (a lot of extra black in the fluff) and he just seemed not quite right. Come hatching & growing time, and it looks like my silkie rooster may have some polish in him. All of the head poufs are a bit odd compared to my good hens, the colors are certainly not partridge/variations (as they should be) and the one cockerel/now young roo seems to have the pouf shaped more of the style of a polish roo. He has absolutely no streamers either on head or tail. His earlobe is bright blue, however. I should check to see if he is black skinned and how many toes he has. I forgot about that.

I think polish are interesting, but I don't want any in any form, especially because they are not good layers and broodies, which is what I want my silkies to be.

Mr. roo will not stay here for a few reasons now, and neither will his offspring. I will be looking for a replacement again next spring, or earlier if I can find anything decent.

• Silkiemamuska
    Silkiemamuska Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning I am so sorry that your Roo was not pure! I can only imagine your frustration after all the planning and time.

I was really surprised to see this coloration because I "thought" I identified the eggs as salmon fav. The side of the split coop/run that I got the eggs have a black silkie roo and the hens are - Salmon fav, Delaware, Australorpe and 2 silkies. Obviously, these are not pure silkie!🤣

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

I think you are right. Something is hiding in there.