Looking for Corn Growing Tips- for my Lawn

Megan Venturella
Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Vegetables

I gave up growing corn in the past because I never planted enough to get great pollination, but I want to try it again this year and sacrifice some of my lawn. I still don't have a lot of space, but that's the ONLY space to try it. My original idea was to put down cardboard, lay out compost, and plant directly into the compost. My next idea after an evening of youtube, was to plant the corn right into my lawn. I have a rabbit who runs wild, and a few chickens that always get out, so I might not be realistic here. Everything I do has to be really well protected- still, before I go to all the effort, I thought I'd just put it out there and see if anyone else has tried either of these methods? This is a unique group with great ideas. You never know!

And if you have tried this, please tell me what kind of spacing you used. Thank you!

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

This is an old thread with no replies. I am bumping this up in case someone can give any advice for this sort of situation.

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

If you have a stand of grass, I would think the root system would be too dense to allow corn to grow. Also, how would you cut the grass? As watering the corn would make the grass grow, too. I would also be concerned about the chickens eating the corn. Mine would destroy it no matter what size it is.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I found someone on line who actually grew the corn beneath the root system of the grass and did it in rows the same width as his lawnmower! So unbelievably, it worked for him. But I haven't tried it yet myself. Maybe this year!

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 117 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

For fun, we grew corn in a Stock Tank one year. Did well but not a good use of space in my opinion. Yields were pretty good for the 4 or 5 stalks that we grew but it was more of a fun experiment than a real life thing that I'd recomend. Corn is meant for big land.

But go for it, I'm always interested in garden experiments!