Australian update on Covid-19

As of Nov 10 the number of Covid cases was 27,678. Of those 25,178 recovered and there have been 907 deaths. Predominantly in aged care facilities.

Australia’s population is 25.5 million. Sydney has the largest population, being 4.6 mil, closely followed by Melbourne 4.2 mil. Melbourne has just come out of a 112 day lockdown and opened up again on Nov 9. Time will tell if we have successfully learned to live with this virus. One thing for sure, normal as we knew it, does not exist.

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

I miss normal.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@LaurieLovesLearning I’m hearing you!

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@jodienancarrow we will somehow come out of this mess, hopefully much wiser, so that we do not fall into another trap again.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jodienancarrow Which are not close to where you are, correct? How's the area in which you live?

@LaurieLovesLearning I too miss normal. I'm just hoping that much of what is "normal" for us at the moment won't become the new normal. I miss human connection and interaction like before. This whole social distancing makes me feel sad and long for more personal relationships/friendships again where you didn't have to worry about the air you both are breathing or how close you are standing to each other.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

I miss normal too and am having a hard time adjusting to what is becoming the new normal.

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

The new normal is what they keep ramming down our throats. Almost every commercial these days is covid, social distancing related...

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@JennyT our area has had virtually no Covid cases.

@monica197 that has been raised but quickly dismissed by the govt. yesterday it was revealed a lot more people have had the virus, without knowing in the original lockdown in March. This came about by people having regular blood tests or donating blood since that time.

@jolanta.wittib and @annbeck62 interesting times ahead. I am a glass half full kind of girl. I try to live in peace and harmony and not let it effect me. That being said I have not experienced a full on lockdown like Melbourne, so maybe I’d feel differently. What I do know is, that we are all going to have to live with Covid regardless of how we each think about it. So lets look after each other and the planet we call home.

• jowitt.europe

@jodienancarrow Austria is now unter full lock down. My husband and me are taking it positively. Actually the lock down should have come earlier, but better now than later. We are allowed to go walking, hiking as long as we do not communicate with others. That is vital - to be able to enjoy nature and physical activities. Otherwise there is so much to do now when we are at home: to read, to catch up with all kinds of activities for which we did not have time before. Of course, we are the age, when our children are independent, when our income is secure. One can say, it is easy to be positive.

I am positive, because I think it will not last for too long. It will last only until the mankind will somehow learn the lesson. An there are already signs that people turn wiser and start cherishing real values like health, possibility to communicate with dear people freely, even children want to go to school! I think that people start noticing the value of local, seasonal products. That people start seeing harm of overproduction, of abusing nature and people....

I think that the world starts slowing down and starts thinking, contemplating of what is important in life and what is not... I think that one can fish out many positive things out of lock down...

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning I like the term "physical distancing". It does sound friendlier to me than social distancing.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

many governors have been caught doing anything but social distancing including drunken parties

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz You are referring to the "Do as I say, not as I do philosophy." That has never worked out well with parents and children either.

• jowitt.europe

The concepts “social distancing” and “physical distancing” seem to be very different. While keeping “physical distancing “ for our safety, we can have as much social communication as we wish via internet, telephone, conferencing, home office with colleagues...

• spanthegulf
    spanthegulf Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

It seems ironic that in an age when we have virtually unlimited access to each other by means of technology, we are finally learning what our forebears inherently knew: face time... in person, 1:1, "face to face, nose to nose, toes to toes" is vital to both our physical and emotional well being! We need more than merely the ability to communicate. We need each other! Thoughts?