My province is essentially in lockdown for 1 month

Well, just after Remembrance Day (Nov. 11), we will be under a code red in my province for 1 month, minimum. Per 100,000 people, we are proportionately the highest infected in Canada and our cases are climbing quickly, especially in our provincial capital & in the northern region.

The schools & childcare are remaining open, but all sports are done (not like much was happening anyway for us here), restaurants will be closed, and stores will have greatly reduced capacity in who is allowed inside and only 1 per household. Non-essential businesses & religious gatherings will be shut down. Families are not to mingle with anyone at all.

The only difference that I see between spring & now is the childcare & schools remaining open.

The teachers are not happy (they feel burned out & like collapse of the education system is imminent), the doctors are not happy (I don't remember why). Probably a lot of others aren't either...but it is what it is.

Black Friday & Christmas sales will be moving largely online this year, I guess.

Comments

• NarjissMomOf3
    NarjissMomOf3 Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

Same here in Belgium. Stay strong and positive. This is more of a spiritual battle than anything else..

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep telling myself that if people could make it through the World Wars, we will make it through this.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not be surprised if DeWine locks down Ohio again. Today's numbers: 6,508 new cases. Almost double the 3 week rolling average.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

My province is experiencing higher rates than previously but has only put a partial lock down in place, in the two health authorities surrounding Vancouver. Restaurants & bars remain open but strictly limited in capacity. Only immediate family in houses (part of this issue was due to large house parties because banquet halls were closed). Only essential travel is allowed. Not affected in my area but I have to travel through next week for a very essential appointment. I'm hoping it doesn't get cancelled but I am quite anxious about travelling and we are preparing so we don't have to go to any stores.

• flowerpower *
    flowerpower * Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

Sounds miserable. Many doctors are issuing letters opposed to lockdowns because they cause more deaths and harm than they prevent. I focus on trying to meet my needs and stay mentally and physically healthy. If not forced to stay indoors taking a walk is a good exercise option, providing light, excersize, fresh air, and a bit of a social outing. Remember the days when people had drive-in dining and movies? Maybe we can revive a modified version of those outings to socialize. In a warmed car, each have a snack and talk through cracked open windows. Hanging out close to a public bathroom might help. I would mask up to use a bathroom because they are not set up to prevent CV virus transmission.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

@flowerpower * I think that the doctors here wanted the lockdown way earlier. There is just so much turmoil and so many people loud and unhappy nowadays, and so much confusion, know-it-alls, rudeness & anger & hate by so many. I think many people no longer smile but are quick to lash out. The ones that were rude before have just taken extra license to continue to be that way and generously give out extra. That said, some are still friendly. I am grateful for those.

What you proposed as a socializing alternative would not be legal here at this point, sad to say, but the idea is lovely. We could face personal fines of $1,296 if we break these rules. Businesses get $5,000. It is just not worth it and people have lived through worse as has been mentioned.

I am glad that at this point, we are in desperate need of nothing. Preparation was wise. It always is. We expected this at some point, and I don't expect it to be the last time. I understand that shopping was crazy today after the announcement.

I won't be doing any shopping. I think that I had risked enough before because I wore a shield (which most of you know why) & not a mask. I think it helped that I was always with my husband who wore a mask. Now, he will be the shopper if needed. I will stay home.

I am glad we are in the country and not the city. I am glad we are healthy. I am glad we are homeschooling yet once again. I am glad that we can live almost normally in our daily lives while we wait this time out.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

We are in a red zone---mayor mandated masks, but no enforcement. Our area is a tourist attraction and the tourist are here! Local TV stations show the crowds and it is hard to see anyone in masks! We stay in----order groceries and that is it! Lots of time to do things I have wanted.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@LaurieLovesLearning sorry to hear that. The city of Melbourne has just come out of a 112 day lockdown back on Oct 26, there were restrictions still in place until 9th Nov and now things are back to normal again, with almost 7 days of no community transmission of Covid. Melbourne’s problems started with a dodgy security company looking after self isolation hotels. People not taking isolation seriously and Covid got into Aged care homes. So it took drastic measures to bring it under control again. Also their contact tracing didn’t work well, apparently different to other states. I’m not sure why the federal govt didn’t step in and issue every state with the same working model, instead each state has their own.The other handy thing is we are coming into summer.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shllnzl "I keep telling myself that if people could make it through the World Wars, we will make it through this."

The American Revolution was actually fought during a smallpox outbreak. No matter how frustrated we all are, this is nowhere near the worst situation that people have lived through.

Vermont is still mostly open, including restaurants. There was an outbreak near Montpelier due to a gathering at a sporting event, but being a low-density community it hasn't spread very far.

The biggest impact has been travel. During the summer and early fall, it was possible to travel to/from Vermont and most counties in other New England states, depending on how high the rate of COVID was in those counties. But with the second wave of infections, interstate travel has been largely shut down again. My husband and I camped in the White Mountains of New Hampshire in early fall, and one week after we returned that county was closed to Vermont travel. Now all the adjacent counties are closed.

Oh, well. At least Vermont is big enough and has enough places to go, especially hiking trails, to keep us entertained. I feel very sad and sympathetic to those in cities who are locked down in a very small area.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lockdowns are causing harm to everyone, especially children. Today I learned a 9 year old child killed himself in Las Vegas because he couldn't take being away from friends any longer. Other people I know are reporting that their children are acting out in other destructive ways.

All of us are witness to the anger and rudeness in many adults.

I think "crazy" is another covid symptom.

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

@shllnzl We do need to persevere through hard times. My hero is my great-grandmother. While I never met her, she looms large in my life. She always took care of her family. One morning she got her husband off to work and later in the day a quarantine sign was affixed to the front door. My grandmother had diphtheria and my great-grandmother was quarantined with a newborn, a toddler and my sick grandmother ( a preschooler) for weeks. My great-grandfather left groceries on the porch for them, but other than that, she was on her own. As I said- my hero.