Thinking ahead to next year's garden

I understand that some seed companies are still out of stock on some seeds. And I'm sure that will only continue as more are growing their own food.

This year I would like to grow more herbs and flowers that can be beneficial to eat/use in making herbal products for me and my family and also used for cooking. One I'd really like to incorporate is some roses, a couple of different kinds.

But I know next to nothing about them or where the best place to source them would be. Can any of you point in in the right direction? Maybe you all might have some other ideas for more herbs and flowers that a somewhat beginner might be able to grow.

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

What is your zone? That will help determine the type of rose & the work involved in keeping them. Tea roses are more fussy. Do you want a bush type or a climbing rose? Some need winter protection, which isn't hard, but adds extra fall work and in my area anyway, certainly comes with risk because of the cold winters.

Chamomile and calendula would be great choices. Monarda (bee balm), violet, red clover, lavender, maybe mullein (it can be invasive) could all be good candidates.

Here too, it would be good to know hour growing zone. You may be able to plant much more variety than I can in zone 3. There will be many more than I listed that you could choose from.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many, many varieties of seeds are still available from online seed companies. This is not going to be a good year to track down rare varieties of seed that are only produced in limited supplies, but you should be able to find many selections.

For roses, I would check out local nurseries. Since most people don't view them as food or medicine, I don't expect there will be a run on them the way that vegetable seeds saw in 2020.

Take a look at https://www.rareseeds.com/store/herbs. Baker Creek is an excellent online seed source, and they have herb seeds currently available, including some unusual varieties:

Mint Rose Agastache, Texas Hummingbird Mint

Green Lemon Balm, Moldavian Dragonhead Balm

Basil (too many different varieties to list)

Lemon Bee Balm, Wild Bergamot Bee Balm

Blue Borage

Takinogawa Burdock

German Chamomille, Zloty Lan Chamomille

...and many more. And that's just from one supplier.

Focus on what's available, not what's out of stock!

Where possible, it's best to get seeds from suppliers in your own region since the varieties will be better adapted. But I've had reasonably good success from suppliers in a different part of the US.

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

If someone you know has plants/herbs you'd like to grow, ask if you could have a cutting. Root the cutting in water and then plant it.

Before we moved from our old house to our new one we shared plants with neighbors, because we figured the new owner might dig them out.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning Sorry, I should have listed zone and everything to make it easier for suggestions. I'm in Upstate South Carolina less than an hours drive to North Carolina. My zone depending on where you look is 7a or 7b.

And as far as the type of rose I'd love to have a trellis with one growing up it. But otherwise I'm not picky. It will make a difference I'm sure where we move to but that's still several months away.

You mentioned violet is there a specific type? A couple of others you mentioned I actually was able to grow this year. And they did well which is very exciting.😁

@VermontCathy Thank you. I will check out those sites to see what they have to offer.

@lewis.mary.e Yes, I have thought of that too, taking cuttings of the plants I have currently. We haven't moved yet but are planning to in the spring and possibly sooner. I know I'll definitely be taking plenty of cuttings of my elderberry bushes for sure.

@torey I just heard about that seed company through the forum here. I will definitely check them out, thank you. And thank you for the mention of the Rugosa roses. I don't believe I've heard of that type so I'll be checking into that too.😁

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

@JennyT I just dug some up from the ditch to grow them away from a sprayed area.

Richters most likely has good varieties listed. They are a very good source for seeds as Torey stated. @Ferg gets seeds there too. I get their catalogue every year. You being American, the exchange would certainly be in your favor.

• Desiree
    Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

I have been thinking about next year as well and one thing I would like to plant is St. John's Wort. I had to order mine from across the country as I waited too late to check locally for fresh and it was costly. I will be working on locating local sources this year and try to find plants.

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

https://www.reneesgarden.com/pages/catalog has 25% off until Monday. Use the code TURKEY20. I just ordered lots of blue flowers and more tomatoes, veggies, herbs. It's all an experiment so have fun with it!

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought my seeds a month or two ago. I got good service through Sotrueseed.com and also from Johnyseeds.com.

Not sure what their current selections are like, but anything I couldn't get from them I found at Baker creek seed, rareseeds.com which was mentioned above.

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I purchased herbal seeds through Strictly Medicinal. They have some nice collections of herbs to launch your garden that they sell just above cost: https://strictlymedicinalseeds.com/product/lifeline-medicinal-herb-garden-18-seed-packets-organic/. I found their collections to be a great beginner place. They also have collections for specifics (like immune health, etc.)

They have a few other "collections" if you are getting started. We purchased additional seeds and all have germinated well. A small, local American company that has a host of knowledge. Get their catalogue for information on a variety of herbs.

• Grounded
    Grounded Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

I appreciated this thread. Even though I am in a different growing zone, it was still an interesting discussion and gave me some ideas and resources for next year.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

I personally get seeds from rareseeds.com and they have a really good variety of stuff.

• spanthegulf
    spanthegulf Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

I just got an order from Baker Creek (rareseeds...). Obviously I haven't planted yet, but I was pleased with the speedy delivery, the packaging, and (of course) the pricing. I was also able to sign up for notification on those items which are currently out of stock. That's a nice feature.

You might also check into seed swapping. There is a forum here on TGN for that.... my apologies, I'm not really good at navigating the site yet, or I'd put in the link. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can provide it? I just happened on it by accident one day and low and behold I was able to get seeds for an herb I'd been looking for! The gal who sent them to me was so very nice! Now I've harvested an herb she doesn't have and plan to stick the seeds in the mail to her on Monday. Seed swapping can be a great way to go! Best wishes to you!

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I have also been thinking about next year. I have already made a couple of seed purchases. I got some vegetables from Seeds for generations, and I just received my seed from Southern Exposure Seed exchange. Both are on line. I know, I'm in northwest Washington state, but my zone is 8. We just lack the winter sunlight. I found some things that I wanted to try at both of the seed sellers that I purchased from and will be curious to see how it all comes out.

As to Rugosa Rose, it is practically a weed where I live. Very hardy.

@Acequiamadre I looked at Strictly Medicinal seeds and was like a little kid in a candy store. 😄 They had so many of the seeds that I'm interested in getting as I learn more about these herbs. I had to be careful not to overly buy.🤑 Thank you for mentioning them.

• VermontCathy

I'm getting notes from multiple seed suppliers that 2021 seed potatoes are in stock. I need to order mine soon. The ones I grew this year are being eaten quickly, as I don't have enough garden space to grow them in the quantities that we eat in a typical year.

I was disappointed that Reddales don't seem to be available this year. They have been extremely productive for me.

• VermontCathy

@Grounded You can learn a lot from other gardeners, even if they don't garden in your zone. Pacific Northwest gardeners like Carol Deppe, tropical gardeners like David the Good, warmer western US gardening books like Sunset's Vegetable Garden Books (published 1943), and others have all taught me something.

Just be ready to adapt what you learn, because some things will carry over and some will not.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

@torey Thank you for the link to Richters. They carry most of the seeds I was looking for, even culantro.

• My wife gifted me with "buy whichever seeds you like" from my favorite seed store Bingenheimer Saatgut which is organic true to type seeds for Christmas.

Now I just need to figure whee to plant them all.

@Jens I'd say your wife knows you quite well and loves you a ton to offer that. I wish my husband would do the same.😉

• Another place to consider for local plant varieties that do well are any of the gardening clubs or Master Gardeners groups. Many also are willing to share seeds/cuttings, often for free or trade. Depending on the population there might even be a rose society or such. You can cross reference between groups including here to find the best fit.

Since my move 4 years ago I've been concentrating on the floribunda roses which have more of a bush growth pattern. I have found them to generally be hardier and less fussy than the tea roses I have grown previously. My main consideration is fragrance. There are varieties which have stunning blooms but they have little scent. I have bought all locally, with one special order because they had sold out of their supply of that variety that year. Some of my roses developed hips this year so I am looking forward to my first harvest. I am in central Texas, zone 8b mostly.

@seeker.nancy - Central Texas Thank you. I will look into gardening clubs in the area around me and Master Gardener groups as well. Thank you for suggesting this. I hadn't thought of it.😊

• @JennyT she sure does 😊

• DurwardPless
    DurwardPless Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Thank you everyone for the suggested seed sources. This coming year will be my first time growing herbs. Not sure what, still planning!

DDP

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

To those who are planning for next year - Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds - Rare Seeds is giving 100% of their purchases to The Salvation Army today and tomorrow only!

• Nancy Carter
    Nancy Carter Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

When do you plan to start growing next years garden? I started last years in March, I'm thinking of starting earlier this year.

• @Nancy Carter depends on your first and last frost date. I am in zone 7 to 8 and I start of indoors on the window sill early February with cold hardy crops that I plant out early March. If you have a cold frame, greenhouse or hotbed you can start even earlier.

On the other hand if there is snow on the ground till April you won't start that early.