Fall deals

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

My local farm stand is closing down.

I got pumpkins at 5 cents apiece today. I buy them and store for my chickens. I filled the truck at that price

Popcorn and Indian corn were also cheap. I picked up some for decorating and saving seeds to swap. (I did ask the name and variety of the corn to make sure it was heirloom) They grow their crops without chemicals so I buy there.

I also picked up unprocessed cider a a great price. I will freeze some, make some into natural pectin and some I will turn into cider vinegar

Next week winter squash will be on sale

Tagged:

Comments

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

Our farmer's markets are done for the year. I didn't even think to go to the last one to see if there were any bargains. Good job on getting so much for so little!

• happy-trails
    happy-trails Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Amazing! So glad for you being able to find those deals. 5 cents per pumpkin! WOW! If your chickens are willing to share the pumpkin with you, you may enjoy some pumpkin recipes I've been experimenting with lately... including pumpkin risotto, cranberry pumpkin Panna Cotta, and chewy pumpkin granola rolls! Enjoy your blessings! =)

• Monek Marie

@happy-trails I might be able to barter with the chickens for a few pumpkins ;)

I would love you recipe for chewy pumpkin granola bars.

Has anyone dried pumpkin? That would make a nasty snack for the chickens in winter too

• Monek Marie

@naomi.kohlmeier Where do you live that you farmers markets are closed? I would love to have a year round one here. It would have to be more dairy, meat and greens in tehr wionter but I just love ther atmosphere of a farmers market and the banter and sharing of ideas. I live in a zone 5B climate, Pennsylvania

We still have a few stubborn indoor farmers markets, road side stands open. The last will probably close ther day after Thanksgiving

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

@Denise Grant I live in a similar climate zone in Nebraska. The Farmers' Markets all closed a couple of weeks ago. I think there might be a Holiday Farmer's Market sometime next month. I'm going to have to check into that.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

That's fantastic. It helps the farmer and you got a great deal.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭

How do you make natural pectin with apple cider? That sounds interesting

• rbusby01
    rbusby01 Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

So smart! I'll have to check here:)

• Monek Marie

We used to make a lot of apple cider and always had some left that did not sell. We would start to boil it down like you boil maple syrup.

Just be careful not to burn it and it will boil down to a very thicj syrup or paste. Its practically pure pectin. We would use it as pectin or my favorite use - to sooth a cough or sore throat. I used to get strepp throat all tehr time and this would knock it out of my system.

You can also use a few teaspoons in water for an apple juice drink or tea for extra taste

• Silkiemamuska
    Silkiemamuska Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

@Denise Grant Wow! Great price, I did not think you could buy any produce at that price anymore. Your chickens will be very happy all winter long.

All those pumpkins and heirloom corn would make for a spectacular photo backdrop for Thanksgiving!

• Suburban Pioneer
    Suburban Pioneer Posts: 339 ✭✭✭

Getting a great bargain, now THAT'S the spirit of self-sufficiency! Congrats! :-) And, the spirit of great food, too. I'm interested in all the recipes for pumpkins. They're everywhere right now but I don't really know what to do with them.

• Monek Marie

@Suburban Pioneer

Pumpkin leather for snacks, picnics and lunches are great

My friend makes pumpkin chips. I will get her recipe

Soups, pudding, main dinners (use like any squash)

Breads

Dry and blend for a spice

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

SCORE! Nice work ;)

• MelissaLynne
    MelissaLynne Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Awesome deal, what a great find!

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant Wow Congrats----you got "the deal of all deals"!

• Suburban Pioneer
    Suburban Pioneer Posts: 339 ✭✭✭

pumpkin chips - now THAT sounds really good! And pudding. Re -the rest, yes, you're right, I just never really thought of them in the same category as squash, isn't that interesting? I guess I'm not used to thinking of their flavor in the same way as I think of the other winter squashes. Hub found an old Swiss recipe for basically a fondue baked inside a pumpkin, you scrape some of the pumpkin flesh out into the cheese/cream/broth mixture when you take your serving, and sop it up with bread. I might start with that!