Wow! How to be More Productive in the Garden

Comments

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

It's true, for me it's consistant motivation, no procrastination.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

There is so much truth to the idea of accomplishing a whole lot by consistently doing a little at a time. I sometimes forget that, but it honestly is so true! So glad you shared this here!

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forget the small step approach too often, Great article

• Silkiemamuska
    Silkiemamuska Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

The premise of the article is so very true! I am personally challenged NOT to overschedule myself and try to take on too many projects at at time. It is so easy to tell myself that I will work 15 or 30 minutes on something and then switch to the other projects for a short period of time.

Consistency is KEY!

• John
    John Posts: 163 ✭✭✭

Just picked up a free black currant plant in a container-thought it would be interesting and fun to grow-any tips or ideas for me? Thank you. And...great article and posts.

• Elizabeth Voss
    Elizabeth Voss Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

Im with you all - I guess if I make it a goal to spend 10 minutes in my garden to be - I will grow the habit of one small thing a day - a good habit to have.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, I need to get better at that!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@John If you haven't already planted your black currant, my bit of advice is to make sure you give it enough room. It will become quite large.

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I like the idea of a little, often approach.

Also important is intentional action, where much can be done by the garden and plants:

Building the soil... so that the garden feeds itself.

Planting intensively... so that the plants grow close together and provide shade, so one can water less.

Planting with companions...so that they watch out for each other: repelling pests and adding nutrients.

Cultivating early... so that one doesn't have to pull deeply rooted weeds.

Select varieties thoughtfully....so the plants are adapted, resilient and ready for your climate and zone

Plant extra and often...so that there are yields to share (and if some are lost due to bugs there is still enough for the table).

Chatting with elders...so that you learn from their deep knowledge of climate, soils, and local things that you only learn through years of experience.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭
  • Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to remember to chunk it down and not feel like I need to get it all done at one time. Also I tried to make a list of 5-10 things to do and have them in order by that I mean that they are steps to take in order to accomplish a big task.