GMO (but not really...) Wheat

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
edited November 2020 in Other News

Has anyone heard of Clearfield technology?

It's been around for quite some time now, as of 2005 in Canada. It is in the US, Australia, Argentina,They claim it is not GMO, but it is still chemically altered to create a mutant gene (mutagenesis) then crossed to make it acceptable under a non-GMO label in the US and other countries. It is resistant to only their chemicals. Only with one certain condition can the seed be saved for replanting...but the company still makes the money.

This chemical company's (BASF) seeds include wheat (which, remember, is not GMO according to their rhetoric), soy, sunflowers, rice, legumes, corn, alfalfa and more.

The 5th paragraph gives more information.

The 5th paragraph in this link below gives even more information.

It also sounds like it is even grown by organic farmers in Canada (and elsewhere). Canada has have very strict rules in the organic sector, not allowing GMOs. Obviously, the chemical giant found a way to skirt around everything by manipulating words, etc.

This next propaganda link claims that this wheat is Oklahoma developed, contrary to what the links above state.

Comments

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never heard of them, but it doesn't surprise me. I don't worry about buying organic anymore because the industry has found enough loopholes that you can't be sure it's organic anyway.

• Grounded
    Grounded Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

This just lends more credence to utilizing smaller, more local farms. Ones that have actual faces behind their product and not a corporate board of directors. Large corporations are finding ways around even the strict regulations in other countries where it was assumed they were protecting their residents.

I've read, and listened to, some fairly radical claims stating that the only way to save planet Earth from ourselves is a revolution of sorts, which pretty much calls for starting over from scratch and not depending upon the existing agricultural system (access to seeds, utilizing truly organic methods of growing and harvesting produce, independent supply/distribution chain and the open marketplace where the product can be sold. This scenario turns its back on the existing agricultural system.

I don't know how realistic that system is, but, when you see what the food industry, now including the organic food industry, is doing to adulterate product for their own gain, it makes you wonder what the future holds for us as consumers.