Calming Cookies. Recipe.

jowitt.europe
jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin
edited December 2021 in Baking

Calming Cookies (Nerven Kekse)

This is a recipe adapted from one by Hildegard von Bingen, a famous herbalist from the Middle Ages. She left many recipes such as medicinal wines, remedies and biscuits which are still in use today but, interestingly, they did not taste bitter or unpleasant. 

These biscuits (recipe below) are supposed to create a sense of wellbeing, cheerfulness, a happy heart and strengthen the nerves.

Ingredients: 500g Spelt flour (or 300g flour + 200g grated almonds), 250g butter, 150g honey or brown sugar, ½ teaspoon salt, 15g nutmeg, 15g cinnamon, 5g ground cloves, 2 eggs.

Preparation: Knead all the ingredients into a dough and chill for 30 minutes in the fridge. Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking sheet with baking paper. Roll out the dough thinly on a board with a rolling pin and cut out shapes to make cookies. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes - do not let them overcook (turn dark), otherwise they will taste bitter.

My adaptation of calming cookies

Ingredients: 300g oat flakes + 200g grated walnuts + 25g powdered herb mixture (lavender, lemon balm, rose petals), 250g butter, 150g honey, ½ tsp salt, 15g nutmeg, 15g cinnamon, 5g ground cloves, 2 eggs.

Preparation: Knead all ingredients to form a dough and refrigerate for 30 minute. Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking sheet with baking paper. Shape cookies with your hands ( I roll a small ball and then flatten it). Bake in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes - do not let them overcook (turn dark), otherwise they will taste bitter.

I love them, my husband loves them even more than me! 

Have fun experimenting.

Comments