Buy Nothing Day, Nov. 27

I hadn't heard of this until today. I guess it was started by a Canadian. Interesting.

Comments

• I can certainly get on board with that lol. People get absolutely insane over it! We don't leave the house to do ANY shopping then; it's a special kind of crazy out there.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love that! I also refuse to leave the house on Friday for anything!

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes I leave the house late in the day (after 3 PM). I totally agree with what you are saying.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Here in Canada Black Friday is becoming more and more of a big deal; it didn't used to be. That's one day I don't want to go anywhere, either.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel like that is something I can definitely get on board with! Although, I think I have only been out shopping on Black Friday once in my life. So maybe I was already supporting the movement without knowing it. My family always celebrates Thanksgiving on that Friday. That way everyone can spend Thanksgiving Day with the family of their significant other and we all still see each other for the holiday.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was never in to the Black Friday thing. I value my safety over the insane crowds who will trample you just to be the first in the door. On Friday, I will drop Mom off for her dialysis treatment and go to the barn to spend time with the "pony".

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

We never really participated in Black Friday Shopping anyway. It never made any sense to me to fight the biggest crowds of the year over stuff that I didn't need. I will admit that I'll watch stupid YouTube videos of people going insane at the walmarts. 😀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK3q7-J8LTw

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

I've heard of this. I'm definitely on board.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@LaurieLovesLearning the Black Friday sales have only become a recent phenomenon in Australia. Before that Black Friday related to a very horrific bushfire in Victoria, that claimed lives many years ago.

My family has adopted the “secret Santa” principle for gift giving at Xmas. One gift per person and your not sure who gave it. I always try to give a good book to my recipient. So my partner and I have decided to stay home today, get some jobs done before it gets really hot. Over the next 4 days, large parts of our country will experience heat wave conditions, close to 40C and above and extreme bushfire conditions. Not nice.

• Jack_Went_Splat
    Jack_Went_Splat Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

For me and my household we will take part in the buy local to support the local, small businesses that have been decimated by mandates from our governor. The reason it is called Black Friday is because, businesses often begin to turn a profit on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Small businesses are the engine that make our economy work in the US. Not telling anyone what to do, just saying there is more to it than what seems to be thought by some.

Blessings and Happy Thanksgiving to those celebrating and being thankful for the blessings in their lives today.

• Melissa Burford
    Melissa Burford Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

I don't partake, however tomorrow I will have to go out to pick up my beef (to fill up the freezer) from the butcher since they called yesterday to say it was ready!

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

This is a great idea...and...I also got some stuff on Black Friday that I needed. sheepish

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

@stephanie447 Yeah......me too......was all set to hold the line and absolutely stand firm on this.....But with several good seed companies and homestead suppliers offering anything from 15% to 30% off and/or free shipping for things I'd just need to buy later without the discount if I waited, the good principle kind of fell by the wayside a bit.....😔

• DurwardPless
    DurwardPless Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

I missed it this year but next year I am in.

DDP

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

Shopping is a terrible hobby

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

I have only gone out Black Friday shopping 1 time, with my daughter, to buy toys for her puppy 😂. This year I ventured out to get myself a nice massage. It was the only day my massage therapist was available. I did partake in some online shopping from a small business just to order my makeup. Even with COVID it still seemed pretty crazy and to many people out shopping.

• annflancan
    annflancan Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

I do not "buy" into the idea that we "have to" buy stuff just because it is a holiday or society says so. Valentine's Day is the worst. How sincere does it really feel to get flowers on a day where you loved one feels pressure or and obligation to do so. Wow! If my Mr. bought me a present or flowers on V Day surely it would not have the affect that he anticipated. I absolutely love it when he randomly brings me flowers pick from our yard or elsewhere and surprises me.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

I went on one Black Friday shopping with my son years ago because we needed a computer and there was a fabulous sale advertising just what we needed. I dropped him off at the store he wanted to visit around midnight or 3 am (I don't remember what time, but looking back, it was the freaking middle of the night). Anyway, I purchased the computer and drove to find him. He came out of the store with the ugliest comforter I've ever seen and not even the size of his bed. "Why did you by this? You have a comforter" I quizzed him. He said "I don't know what happened. There were people there grabbing them so I did too." Fortunately, he realized it was a nutty thing to do and took it back, but he also learned a valuable lesson about shopping. Crazy is viral.

I wish we had one "Don't Shop" day a month. It would indicate where the buying power was or wasn't.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

REI has had its opt out for a couple of years now. They give all their employees the day off to just get outside. Love it.

Personally, I have always given Black Friday a wide berth.