Greenhouse?

KimWilson
KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Building Projects

So my husband and I threw some plastic and a couple of roughly crafted wood frames over the last of our tomatoe plants. He waters in there about once a week by hand, heats it on the lowest setting of a heater and that is it.

A few days ago, I pulled back a bit of the plastic and was greeted by the most wonderful smell of moist, healthy vibrant greenhouse. What a delight to my soul!!!!

I am thinking from this experience that a greenhouse, no matter how small, would be a fantastic blessing in our lives.

Comments

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KimWilson I have always wanted a greenhouse. Thank you for posting about yours. My grandmother had a greenhouse that was moved to my childhood home. My parents didn't do much with it but I loved it.

• KimWilson

The living earthy heavenly smell of the greenhouse came rushing back to my memory from just seeing that you had responded to my post.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

@KimWilson So are you wanting to buy a greenhouse?

I am just wondering if I need to relocate this discussion to another category instead of the Buy/Sell.

• KimWilson

We kind of have a greenhouse kit that we will fortify and expand on. It just needs to make the priority list .

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

@KimWilson Thanks for responding. I moved this discussion over to "Building Projects" as it is a more appropriate category. ;)

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KimWilson I'm so happy for you. I too have been wanting a greenhouse. Unfortunately, it is not on the top of the priority list right now. As you describe the experience of smell I can imagine the joy it gives! I hope that you can be blessed with your wonderful greenhouse expansion soon!

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see a greenhouse in my future which is really sad. I live in an apartment and have no patio and an 11" space by many feet long to grow the vegies. I thought it was so sweet after the rosebush was taken out that a child planted a small geranium in the soil and is watering it. It started out as a leaf but it has grown some. It is not a good time to plant a geranium outside in the winter in Oregon but I can see that we have a gardener in the making!

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

We built a little one recently. Rebar frame and mesh (warm climate) with beds elevated about a foot high. Waiting for the tomato seedlings to get a little bigger before they move in. While it's great to have warm weather year round it's not so great for bugs and insects that love those baby plants.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

We have an old metal framed canopy shelter that all the covering has weathered off. We moved it to a place next to the new garden. We will put it on a foundation and cover it with corrugated siding and roof. Hopefully ready by next summer and growing our tomatoes.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's some really cool greenhouse plans. Some look really sweet.

• Melissa Burford
    Melissa Burford Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

Yeah, a greenhouse is on our list too. We now have a lot of the materials and it looks liked we might be able to do it this coming spring after the snow thaw and mud season ends.

• KimWilson

I have really enjoyed all of the comments on this thread. My husband harvested tomatoes again yesterday and dehydrated them. Love getting fresh produce when it is barely above freezing during the daytime.