Danish study on masks

silvertipgrizz
silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2020 in COVID-19/Coronavirus

“Danmask-19 Trial,” published November 18, 2020, in the Annals of Internal Medicine,3 included 3,030 individuals assigned to wear a surgical face mask and 2,994 unmasked controls. Of them, 80.7% completed the study.

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited December 2020

Further non-sensational information by Forbes on the controversial study:

I have closed this thread due to the controversial nature of this study. Both sides have their experts who interpret things toward their bias. Both sides have facts. In the end, it really solves nothing but it does add to the confusion, stress & chaos all around, which is not helpful.

I am not personally convinced that masks that aren't independently & rigorously tested & rated (& individually, professionally fitted) for virus protection are all that effective against any virus, but I do believe that distance does make a difference in any viral situation. It did in the past and that should hold true even now.

Having said that, I am also not advocating wearing/not wearing a mask at this time. Even of you believe that it is not good, a person would be wise to wear one anyway (if you can) when around others for the basic reason of caring for the mental health of the one who is convinced otherwise.

It is up to all of us to be careful to weigh all sides and not blindly follow one side nor the other. Both may have some measure of truth & the rest could easily be bogus to support ideals. Be careful. Question both sides. Be mindful of their bias. Be aware that you have one too. We aren't always always/fully right. We can be wrong.

I think that I mentioned this before. I recently watched some shows on visual Illusions. I said that it is just like stats. It is also like any information that we take in from online or other sources. You may be convinced that what you see is reality, when it really isn't. It may depend on what the angle is of the parts of the illusion, it could be a change in brightness & pattern. This is influenced by the creator of the illusion and also by our own brains which make conclusions on what we have let it take in in the past. This situation, these studies...they are all just like those illusions. The only difference is that those illusions are enjoyable, & this situation is not.

In conclusion, this is all the wisdom I can really give in this situation...to be (1) kind to & to be respectful to others, no matter what your conclusion. (2) Ask questions and listen. (3) Give your opinion only when asked, and if asked, still be mindful of how you present your opinion keeping respect of the other person in mind. Your viewpoint is an opinion too, after all. (4) Remember that always learning is important and (5) no one person is ever completely correct in everything. (6) Nothing is ever solved by argument, nor by hate.

This discussion has been closed.