Vanilla Heaven

MaryRowe
MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

I put up my first batch of home-made vanilla extract on Oct.2--just now got around to trying it. Pure Heaven! If there are any bakers here who are not yet making your own, you have to try this! There's no comparison with the commercial product.

It couldn't be simpler: you put your vanilla beans in a bottle or jar with vodka or something else to draw out the goodness, cap it tightly, remember to give it a shake once day or so, and wait for a month or two. I put two good beans in 8oz. of vodka, and another two in 8oz. of brandy to see which I would like better. The vodka will work better for general baking-- a cleaner vanilla flavor. But in anything where a shot of brandy might be nice, say a cup of hot chocolate on a chilly evening, the vanilla brandy is the winner.

Another wonderful discovery thanks to TGN!

Comments

• MaryRowe

Hmmm, well I might....dunno....only vaguely aware of vegetable glycerin, not sure where to find it, not likely not around here.

Is it as shelf-stable as alcohol? Does it have a taste that might affect the vanilla flavor as the brandy does?

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made some 2 years ago and I'm still using it. It's soooo good! I put several vanilla beans that I split open into an entire bottle of vodka and shook it every once in a while. I have about 1/4th of it left. You're right about it being so easy!

I've been thinking about starting another bottle of vanilla soon.

• MaryRowe

Right, I forgot to mention that part: you want to split the beans open, exposing more surface area to get more out of them. Wow--a whole bottle! Yes, I could see myself doing that now.

I am wondering how much more I can get out of these beans that I used for the small 8 oz. batches too--maybe chopping them up a bit more and soaking them in a smaller amount of alcohol might coax a bit more flavoring out? Or is there a better use for beans that have already had one good soaking to get the most out of them?

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

A great summer adult beverage is what I call a "John Daly" (after the crazy drunkard pro golfer John Daly and a play on words for an "Arnold Palmer" which is Sweet Tea and Lemonade drink)

Take the rind from a few lemons and boil in sugar water until rinds are soft. Submerge in a bottle of Vodka and let sit for a few days or so.

On a hot and humid Saturday morning, finish your chores early before the sun gets too high in the sky, then take a tall glass of ice, pour in about 3 fingers of your Vodka Lemon mixture, Add Iced Tea and stir. Crank up some beach tunes, lay down in a hammock under a shade tree and enjoy!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited November 2020

I've been making vanilla extract (and others) for many years. It is not necessary to split the beans, but you can. You also need 6 beans:1 c. of vodka for a true extract. Double extract means double the beans.

We use the spent seeds & pods to make vanilla sugar. You could also put the seeds in a fruit salad (high fat yogurt, honey, poppy seeds, vanilla seeds). We have done this with already ground pure vanilla beans (no sugars or anything added).

I have tried reusing beans for more extract, but there is not much left in them for that purpose. You could potentially grind them up after drying as well, but I have not found a way to do a great job of grinding them.

I have been using my extract very sparingly since the price of beans skyrocketed. It is still extremely high and it is said that it will remain high for many years to come.

We just recently bought some non extract beans because the company that I usually buy them from (vanillafoodcompany.ca) had a huge discount due to their anniversary. I am not fully sure how I want to deal with the grade A plump ones as extract grade is still better for making extract, but this is what they could source for their sale, and it was madagascar (so top quality) beans. I am now waiting on my beautiful order.

I will still treat my extract as gold, but will finally be able to use a bit more of it finally once it is made.

• MaryRowe

Wow...if 2 beans in 8 oz. makes such a flavorful almost-extract, six beans must be dynamite! I will have to try that for sure now.

This has me curious about lots of things now:

--Surely there must be some kind of industry standards (maybe?), so I wonder why commercial vanilla extract is so disappointing compared to my 2-bean almost-extract.

--When I was buying beans I passed up the Grade A in favor of Grade B too because I had read that B was better for extract...but what do people normally do with Grade A then?

--And what about that vegetable glycerin mentioned above--any advantages to using that other than just avoiding the alcohol if you need or want to? Is it as shelf stable and flavor neutral as vodka?

--And of course, while vanilla sugar is always a good thing, still seems like there ought to be more you can do with the spent beans...will have to think and experiment on that one.

Remarkable how such a simple process can turn out to be so very interesting!

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

I make my own using vodka. I've worked with food grade vegetable glycerin but never used it to extract things into. I think the big advantage is some people want to avoid alcohol. It is mildly sweet but neutral taste. I don't think it would affect the flavor.

• Desiree
    Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

You're making me want to try this now. I have flirted with the idea, but the cost of the beans has been a deterrent. When I watch a show where the chef/baker just whips out a bean to use like I would flour it, blows my mind! What sources are recommended to ensure good quality?

• MaryRowe

@Desiree Probably against the odds, but with some very careful shopping, I had good luck on Amazon. Might have been beginners luck, but the beans I ended up with were fresh and flavorful, and a good bit cheaper than the beans at the companies I've seen listed elsewhere. I know you have to be very careful trying to go with cheaper options like that though.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited December 2020

In Canada,

is the one that I use. They used to have a recipe from Neilson Massey for their extract recpie, which is the 6 beans/cup.

I used to know the highest rated sources in the US. I will see if I can find any familiar ones.

I found my answer to drying the beans. Of course, a dehydrator would work. Most likely moonshine would offset the higher moisture grade A vanilla beans. But it can be dried over a fire as well somehow:

"While the three regions above are considered the main sources of highest-quality vanilla, Indonesia and other tropical vanilla-farming regions also produce vanilla in relatively large quantities. Where these vanillas differ is in their drying process. Vanilla is traditionally dried in the sun, taking a month or more to cure. In Indonesia, vanilla beans are typically dried over fire, expediting the drying and curing process, and adding a smoky flavor to some of the vanilla crops." - Exerpt taken from link below:

Some questions that have been asked already in this thread are answered in their long article.

I remember that the Vanilla Queen was highly recommended in the US when I researched & asked questions.

There is also Vanilla Bean Kings. They claim top quality and ship all sorts of places, but I saw no claims about no GMO, etc. as the V.Q. above claims. I don't know much about them.

If you want to do a search, try extract grade (either that or grade B) vanilla beans, US (or whatever country you live in).

Be wary. I am sure that somehow there are schisters out there, given its unusually high price right now.

Both Vanilla Food Company & Vanilla Queen should have tips on finding the best quality beans.

• Silkiemamuska
    Silkiemamuska Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

I too have thought about making vanilla extract, for years! Yes, the crazy price of the bean keeps me in "thinking about it" mode. I can still remember when a large bottle at Costco was under $7, those were the days.

• LaurieLovesLearning

My beans.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited June 2021

Well, those beans above made fantastic extract! We have been using it often yet still somewhat cautiously considering how high prices have been with no sign of going down.

But, today I got word that vanilla prices are coming down. I haven't checked my Canadian source yet, but this US blogger's source had it drop in price. She also arranged for a password discount (I am not sure how long it is good for) and so I thought that I'd pass it along.

Remember that true vanilla extract is 6 extract grade beans:1 cup of vodka. The plump beans (grade A) have more water in them and are generally not recommended for extract.

EDIT: Well, I checked my source and it is still $180/0.5 lb on sale. I think we will keep using what we've got for now & hope it goes down in the near future.

There is also bulk pricing, but I would need others who were just as dedicated as I am to go in with me. Two pounds is a bit much just for us!

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

My understanding is vegetable grade glycerin is sweet (which is one reason it is used in tinctures for kids) and it has a shorter shelf-life than alcohol, about one year.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

@Lisa K with the brand I use there is a slight sweetness to it but much less sweet than sugar.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

My beans came in!😁

• LaurieLovesLearning

That's super, @JennyT Upstate South Carolina! Enjoy the experience. It's heavenly.

• LaurieLovesLearning

I have a short vanilla extract story.

You know how kids (and some adults) associate the smell of vanilla with sweets? One day, I discovered our 2 youngest, elated as could be, bowls full of homemade yogurt, and doused (like, drenched) in my homemade vanilla extract. 😳 They thought that they were going to have the best treat ever!

Needless to say, I got pretty excited. Not only did they waste an enormous amount of this liquid gold, they would have had a big dose of vodka if they did eat much. Not a good option for little kids.

I no longer remember if I poured most of it off or tossed both bowls. They were disappointed when I told them it wouldn't be tasty that way (and to NEVER do it again). I do realize that once they figured out that it wasn't as sweet as they expected, chances are they would have either abandoned their bowls, or knowing them, fixed it by dumping an equal amount of white sugar into it. Either would have been something that they would do.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I treat my vanilla extract like gold, too. The last time I bought vanilla beans, they were about $50 a pound. When I was going to buy another pound, they were over $600 a pound. I quit selling vanilla extract and kept what was left for me. They're still over $300 unless you can find them on sale.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I currently have over half a gallon brewing right now, And more beans on the way. Found a coop to buy beans from, they average about $10 an ounce through the coop. They have several types available at different times of the year.

LaurieLovesLearning I sent you a message about them.

There are also charts in their files for the different quantities of beans vs alcohol and such as well as recipes for different ways to use the beans and recipes to use the extracts, vanilla paste, vanilla salt, vanilla sugar, etc.

My first batch won't be ready for many months yet. But can't wait to taste it. They even show you how to use oak blocks to remove the alcohol flavor if it is too strong for you.

• vickeym

Forgot to say in the coop they recommend 1 oz of beans to 8 oz of alcohol. But there is also a chart that shows the FDA recommended amounts which are just a bit less.

• vickeym

OK, I've gotten permission to share the coop site. So it is on Facebook and the site is:

Once you are a member of the group the alcohol to bean ratio chart is found by clicking on "more", then "files" and scroll to the very bottom of the list of files it is the last file.

They also have a retail store:

I have now placed4 orders with them and have been very happy. They are more than willing to walk you through ordering, making extract, paste, vanilla salt, vanilla sugar and any other questions you might have.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MaryRowe

add some citrus to it, to your taste, and you have another 'awesome in a bottle'. I say that because that is what I use in my pound cake (when it's not 100 plus degrees).

I found it through King Arthur Flour when I first found their 'lemon glazed pound cake' better than chocolate

😲

It's 'fiori de sicilia' and does not take much at all. But if you can find a balance with citrus and your vb vanilla you might love it and not have to buy to try..

You've motivated me to start a batch of vanilla...

btw, if you want to check out the pound cake recipe I mentioned just go to their website and then to 'recipes' and type in 'lemon glazed pound cake'

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭

That sounds delicious. I love vanilla. It's great for fall too!

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, yay! I'm intrigued by all that you were saying about the coop and what they offer. 😊

• kfoto
    kfoto Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

I love the Indridvania group. The best I’ve found and affordable. They also found peppercorns, so out of the world flavor and cinnamon. Great family that has brought amazing quality!!

• vickeym

kfoto Yes. I also love the Indrivanilla group. They have walked myself and many others through every step of making vanilla and using it and what else we can do with the beans. All at great prices.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@MaryRowe Ohhhhhh, that does sound heavenly!! Thanks everyone for your info on vanilla beans!!

• LaurieLovesLearning

Well, I was interested in checking out vanilla bean prices today (Jan 20, 2023), so I went looking. I wanted to see if it was true that vanilla prices dropped.

Note:

I checked IndriVanilla, Olive Nation & The Vanilla Food Company (Canada). All have great reviews from buyers.

I compared Madagascar Bourbon vanilla beans. There are less expensive beans from different regions on some of the sites, but not all were available on all sites. Each company had this type, which made for easier comparison, and it is a highly popular variety. Tahitian & Ugandan are also fairly common & each has its own flavor profile, but again, not are currently available everywhere.

Organic is irrelevant since vanilla orchids can't handle synthetic care.

I am having trouble determining from most of the sites if the beans are plump (so, more water and not as strong as an extract) or extract grade. I know VFC states this information up front. This may be why their price is so much higher at this time. The available stock won't be extract grade.

I compared 1 lb. There is roughly 100 6-7" beans to that pound.

Olive Nation (incl. shipping) came out on top this time around*, especially if I'd get their short beans and claim a discount. These are still equal quality, just too short in length to grade as "A". For a first time order, you get 25% off. With a special code from the Happy Homemakers site, you can get (it seems ongoing) a 20% discount. My price per bean after shipping would be $2.21 CDN/bean.

*I have no idea how much IndriVanilla club members might get for a discount and if it beats what I found with Olive Nation today. The other thing is with the club, you would need to be on Facebook & be willing to wait on their group buys.