When There Is No Doctor online training

I recently took advantage of the Grow Network's sale of Doc Jones' When There Is No Doctor video training.

It is a great course. I have three more video lessons to watch.

My favorite so far is the 2.5 hour Plant Walk video where Doc Jones walks you through his medicinal plant garden. It is helpful to see what the mature plants and trees look like before you plant them in your garden.

Now I just have to determine which plants would be most useful to me, within parameters of climate and space available.

Comments

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sure wanted to do that course as well...Glad you are enjoying it.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, that sounded like a great course @shllnzl . The garden walk sounds amazing. But I'm disciplining myself to finish the courses I have already committed to, and that includes some good ones here at TGN. Please let us know what you think of the rest of it.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz @Annie Kate I am doing the videos first, will repeat info with reading transcripts. I expect to study this info periodically.

Next up will be Hillsdale College's new course Civil Rights in American History, then more TGN Academy courses.

• Annie Kate

Wow, good for you! One of my goals is to plan in what order to take all the courses I've got on my plate.

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

What plants did he cover in the walk? I am starting a big medicinal herb garden and perhaps there are some I should add....

• shllnzl

@Acequiamadre He covered the standards, like elderberry, garlic, dandelion, calendula, comfrey, yarrow, roses, gumweed, plantain, etc.

He also included grapes as grape leaves have medicinal benefit.

Sorry, 2.5 hours of plants is a lot to remember and type.

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

@shllnzl --Thanks--many of these I grow or am growing in the year to come.

What did he say about grapes--I have so many vines but have never thought about them as medicinals. Besides the wine, of course.

• shllnzl

@Acequiamadre Grapes are antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. One mention that is noteworthy is that they decrease a cytokine storm, the syndrome that made the Spanish Flu so deadly to healthy adults.

You ought to try stuffed grape leaves for dinner sometime. Greek friends served me some and they were delicious, very similar to cabbage rolls.

• NarjissMomOf3
    NarjissMomOf3 Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

Thanks for your review. I am also planning on taking that course in the future.

• Annie Kate

@Acequiamadre and @shllnzl I use grape leaves in pickles; they say it keeps them crispy. But I did not know they had health benefits, and I love the idea of stuffed grape leaves.