My herbal books arrived!

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

I am excited! Here they are, right beside my oversized cup of yogi tea. 😁

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

A little early Christmas for you! I don't have either of these books but do know Michael Tierra's works. Brilliant herbalist. I looked up the other book as I was unfamiliar with the author. This looks like a very good book. Has other traditional healing practices as well as herbs. Great choices for your library!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited December 2020

I was able to get them from a Canadian discount book place online (new, slightly damaged/overstock). I check it every so often for titles that might interest me. They often have sales in addition to their great discounted prices & their shipping is really inexpensive (or free over $45 which is easy enough to reach).

If you might be interested, I could send you a link. It gives me a bonus and I think possibly gives new members a perk as well. There is no fee.

I am done quickly browsing through the second book. It is really good. I just started browsing through the first one. I did take a chance on it, but its summary looked interesting. Its showing promise. 😉

• Torey

Yes. I would love the link. Always looking for good, cheap books.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look very interesting. Will have to look them up.

• Aaah nothing as exciting as the arrival of books. Love to open the package and go through them the first time.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning I'm Interested in the link too please. I buy all my books second hand. And having another resource to get them cheaply would be awesome .😀

@Jens I agree with you 100% on that. Books, are by far the best gift to receive in the mail.😁

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited December 2020

@torey & @JennyT and anyone else interested, here is the link. It looks good for multiple people to use, so I will post it here:

I have always been impressed with their discounts on top of their discounts. 😄

I should add that they serve both Canada & the US. I would imagine that buying from up here would save even more with the exchange rate...and those of you with Rakuten can get cash back on top of all of this. If you use this link below to sign up there, we both get an extra bonus there too upon your first order. I am not sure how both would work together though for a first order at BookOutlet. You would have to figure that out on your own.

I like deals and these are worth sharing. Have fun finding books!

• LaurieLovesLearning

An update on the Native American Herbal Remedies book:

It has some good information, but overall I am quite disappointed with the book. I suspect that the author "made friends" to get information for the sole purpose of a book to sell.

There is a little bit of Native American plant knowledge in there. I think, honestly, that it barely scratches the surface and could have been much more thorough when addressing each herb. The author also then goes on to give ayurvedic herb formulas that might include N. American herbs.

The spiritual end of it incorporates three religions, being animism, eastern mysticism (since when is that a part), and he throws into the mix an out of context bible verse. I think he is trying to make this section acceptable to more readers by doing so. That is not representing the culture appropriately/fairly.

I don't recommend this particular book due to its weaknesses that I have seen, claiming to be one thing but actually being another. He was clearly pumping up his little bit of herbal knowledge with other content. Don't waste any money on this book. There are much better books & resources available.

ON THE OTHER HAND...

The Michael Tierra book was excellent! I would highly recommend it due to it's well curated herbal knowledge. It is one for every herbal library.

• Torey

Thanks for the update @LaurieLovesLearning. Always great to have a personal reference.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

The Dr. Tierra book's title is herbalism in terms of the Mandalorian "This is the way"! lol.

Thank you for the link!

@LaurieLovesLearning That's to bad on the Native American Herbal book. It sounded interesting.

I checked out the link to the book site. Thank you, Laurie. There certainly is plethora of books on there to chose from. I'll have to periodically check on it to see what they have to offer. Thanks again for sending the link.😊

• LaurieLovesLearning

@JennyT I was quite disappointed. I was hoping for something a bit more focused.

The site is certainly something that you need to check back on. One day, there might be very little that is of interest, another day there can be plenty.

@LaurieLovesLearning I looked at the site again this morning for a bit and found several things I added to my cart. I'll need to finish looking around later on today and check out.😀