What are your plans for the new year?

I don't know about you guys, but I've really been thinking a lot about this past year, and the new upcoming one. At the beginning of this year, I chose a word for the year. I chose the word LEARN. And I really think that has played out in my life this year. We got chickens, raised and processed meat birds for the first time, I canned for the first time, I learned how to knit, and embroider, and I grew in who I was. And there's tons more little things that I won't mention. All of that to say, what are your plans, and what has this year given/taught you?

Tagged:

Comments

• This last year has given me that I know to be grateful for what we have and not to worry to much about all the other things and work stress.

For next year I will intensify the gardening as well as planning to learn soap making finally. Oh and get drunk on my first home brew of mead and beer. 😊🍺🍻

• Nancy Carter
    Nancy Carter Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

I would like to be more patient with myself this coming year. I would like to work on developing a new herb garden with my children.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COWLOVINGIRL I learned that it is important to be self reliant. I actually have been learning a new game. I took up gardening after 6 years and canning fruits after about 10 years. I am not so sure that the canning was very successful because the smoke got in the way but I will improve. I am looking forward to gardening this year. Oh yes, I wanted to report that the small child that planted that geranium leaf in the fall now has new leaves forming. I didn't think it would grow during the winter much less add new growth.

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

I am trying to not overwhelm us with a "do-it-all" crisis mentality. I think if we can incorporate three new things into our lives, that will be manageable. We are definitely planning on rabbits. I would like to get a small greenhouse. Number three is up in the air, but I'm considering bees.

As for what we've accomplished this year: I made my first tincture. I've always been more of a tea person. I learned to pressure can. Getting over the fear of pressure canning was a huge hurdle, but now I love it! We also got laying hens. That wasn't new to us; we had just had a few years off because both sets of parents needed us a lot.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@COWLOVINGIRL This year I have learnt more patience and being grateful. Very happy being in my own skin and not letting the little things, turn into big ones. I can’t decide if it’s maturity or the year 2020! I think equanimity is the word I’m looking for.

I’ve certainly learnt more skills in the herbal medicine arena and have produced more food from my vegetable garden. If I can continue in the same vein for 2021, then I’ll be a happy woman.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

@Gail H That is amazing! I'm so happy for you! I just started water bath canning this year, but my next goal is pressure canning!

• COWLOVINGIRL

@jodienancarrow I certainly agree! Me too!

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

@stephanie447 Congratulations!! That is a big accomplishment on the Practitioner completion and certification!!

2020 has taught me that family and "me time" has to be a priority. That is why I decided to retire.

2021 will be about laying down roots with my husband and starting our own "new" traditions for our children and grandchildren to share with us!

• COWLOVINGIRL

@stephanie447 you are amazing!!!

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

This year has been an extremely difficult one personally. I'm relieved to see It's coming to an end though I'm not sure how next year will be. I am hoping to start school in March. At the moment I need to get my fafsa done. I'm praying next year is a good one God willing, and I just need to trust God whatever comes.

• Wendy
    Wendy Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

In 2021, I hope to continue my wild foraging and learn about a few new-to-me herbs/weeds. I want to learn about a few each season, really get to know them, and use them in my diet.

• COWLOVINGIRL

That sounds great @Wendy

• MelissaLynne
    MelissaLynne Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

I am going to start homeschooling my preschoolers. I also hope to tackle some household projects before the snow melts off in April.

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

I'm impressed with everybody's insightful answers! I'm not as insightful or ambitious as most of you so I'll just do like @Jens and get drunk! 😜

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin
    edited December 2020

@Slippy always a goal worth to be persistent on😂😂😂

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

2021 is going to be a busy year for us. We'll be planning, tilling, and planting new gardens. Offering a CSA. Tearing down our old useless garage and putting up a new one. And we're debating getting 2 lambs to raise for meat.

• COWLOVINGIRL

Wow! I'm thinking about CSA too. But maybe for 2022.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Planning to get time in for my 2 research trips to NM. Spend a week and look around. Then I can start considering property acquisition for retirement.

• MissPatricia
    MissPatricia Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

In my quest for the garden of my dreams, after 53 years of moderate success to less than spectacular results, I signed up last week for Lynn Gillepsie's "Abundant High Performance Garden" course and am planning this year's garden. Am ordering sand tomorrow for the soil mix. Doing that is just one step, but an important one. I am really excited to see what happens. Meanwhile I am putting leaves on my garden and more wood chips. I plan to place the soil mix on top of that. I also need to order seeds soon and hope that they are in stock. I have a lot of seeds so I am not too worried.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need to take steps to increase my food security. In practice, I'm not sure exactly what that means.

We keep quite a bit of food around, but much of it is refrigerated or frozen, and wouldn't survive a long power outage. I canned a few things this year, but much of the home-canned goods are jams and jellies, which are delicious but hardly a staple food.

The next year's gardening probably needs to involve more acid bath canning and less freezing.

Beyond that, we'll just have to see what ideas I get.

• COWLOVINGIRL

Sounds great!

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

To declutter my life.

Thats more than just a house. I need to finish and not take any more online classes until I finish or remove those I have lost interest in

I have too many interests. I need to select a few and embrace those.

Sadly, there are people I need to push back a bit in my life. They either add sadness or chaos to my life. My mind needs less chaos to function well.

Decluttering also should include a plan. I know I have to be more fit. That 20 minute walk I tend to forget when doing things for other people has to be put back in place. I need that quiet time to reflect.

I put everyone's needs in front of mine. I need to balance that. Find the time I need for myself.

I have put aside a few loves (interests) in my life. I need to put them back in my life.

Thanks for the question @COWLOVINGIRL . It sems to have grabbed my thoughts and directed me.

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

I just bought 18 hectares so I expect to learn a lot about building a house, dowsing for water and farming/gardening this year.

• Nancy Carter
    Nancy Carter Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

I want to learn how to make homemade pasta to go with my homemade sauce we made last summer! I'd like to declutter a bit as well!

• COWLOVINGIRL

@Nancy Carter I just recently made homemade pasta or the first time! Oh man, it was sooooooooooo good!

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

This is not my personal ideal for myself but for the population as a whole.

I am from a time and age group where all my friends, family and fellow humans were just as important to me as my own self. We always helped another in need. Whether it was the offer of a helping hand, monetary donation if needed, sharing of my own foodstuffs, clothing or supplies... you get the idea. If someone was having a problem, it was never unusual that the neighborhood, community etc would always step up and help.

But now, the general attitude I see is "look out for myself (my family) and let the other guy worry about himself.

EDIT: (Controversial content removed)

I guess, my problem here is how and when did "Me, myself and I" become so much more important than the complement of everyone else all around us?

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin
    edited January 2021

I put our traditional egg noodle recipe on here somewhere. It is called kielke. I use it for everything noodles/pasta. In fact, we will make them shortly to have with our spaghetti meat sauce tonight!

Found it!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin
    edited January 2021

Mod Hat On:

Before further Covid discussion begins on this thread, just a reminder that TGN Admin has decided (as of Jan 1, 2021) that this forum will no longer be a platform for this topic as it is a subject that unfortunately leads to divisiveness. Division is not our desire nor our goal.

This is a reminder that any further postings on Covid, as a new discussion or a comment, will be deleted without further explanation.

Mod Hat Off.