Favorite gardening tool

Piggybacking of the favorite kitchen gadgets thread, what is your favorite gardening tool? Big or small, bought or homemade, it all counts!

I like dibblers. First of all, it is fun to say, second of all, it is fun to poke holes in the potting soil. 😄

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin
    edited December 2020

@monica197 Mine is green plastic, similar to this. They can get pretty fancy though & have various types of handles.

A hori hori...it sounds like a versatile tool that TGN should consider carrying. @Marjory Wildcraft

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

One of my favourite tools is a pruner. Maybe I should say pruners. I have several. Smaller ones for more delicate work and harvesting. Bigger ones for tougher material. Long handled ones for pruning higher or hard to reach branches. But keep them sharp. Dull pruners are next to useless. I have cases for my smaller ones to keep the blades safe.

In agreement that a hori-hori should be part of TGN's store.

• LaurieLovesLearning

A pruner! How could I forget! I guess that I was thinking of the vegetable garden, not trees. That tool is my absolute favorite. Hands down.

I requested mine (with an employee discount) as I was preparing to leave my seasonal nursery job for the last time. Mine were the last made by the company of that style & I like that style. My boss was more than happy to put an order in for me. He was a great boss too, the best that I've ever had.

I LOVE MY PRUNERS.

We do have a lopper too, but my pruners are way more fun.

@torey Great choice!

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a toss-up between my pruners and the hoe.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

My favorite tool at this point are pruners as well.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited December 2020

@monica197 Nope, I'm right there with you on that bad practice of cutting too large of things. I did that within the last month & paid for it dearly with my carpal tunnel. I am so stubborn & wanted to get that berry bush trimmed right down.

I knew better.

I still didn't finish...I told someone else that they could finish it as I couldn't. It is still not done. But, I will not touch it again. That hurt way too much afterward.

@monica197 What is that?

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@monica197 i take my pruners to a local shop that, among other things, sells very good quality knives and sharpens knives, scissors, pruners, etc. But I have a stone and sometimes do it myself.

I have broken several pairs of pruners trying to force them to take of a branch larger than they were intended for. That's why I know have a collection of different sizes.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

My hands😏