One hand tremor - a shaking hand - what could help?

My neighbour, a woman in her fifties asked me whether there are any herbs for her shaking hand (the right one). She has this tremor in one hand for a few years and the doctors, so far, have not find a reason. It seems it is not Parkinson. It is an action tremor - the shaking starts when she is cutting, etc, but it comes also when she is relaxed. So far it is not progressing. She is worried, because both of her parents had dementia.

She is a farmer, so she eats meat of their own produce regularly. So no lack of Vitamin B12. No amalgam in teeth. Almost no sugar consumption. I suggested decreasing or avoiding wheat products and suggested eating no processed food.

Do you have any experience? She is looking for natural ways. She doesn’t not want to get any medication. I suggested calming down herbal tea, valerian tincture. What else could she try?

Comments

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

It sounds like it may be something called "essential tremor" (which my mother-in-law assures me she could happily live without!) She has had some help from a chiropractic neurologist. It takes a lot of time and patience to get results.

It's not exactly natural, but my husband is researching something called focused ultrasound since he and one of our daughters seem to have the condition as well. Here is a website about it: https://www.fusfoundation.org/

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

It sounds like she has an essential tremor. Medically we treat with a blood pressure medicine known as a beta blocker.

Herbally, anything antianxiety: skullcap, valerian, passion flower, kava kava, frankincense...

I wish her luck, this is a very frustrating disorder to have.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I would suggest a homeopath. There are 74 remedies listed in my program for "intention" tremors, which I think is the same as "essential" tremor. So it would take a good homeopath, taking into account all of the symptomology, to narrow down the remedy choices.

Herbally, the suggestions made above are all good ones. Valerian and Skullcap would be at the top of the list. Something else you might try is a very low dose (as in single drops) of Trembling Aspen tincture. If that helps at all, then tell a homeopath and they can get it in a remedy form. I used the remedy recently for a case of trembling from anticipatory fear. It helped a great deal but this is a different case so it might not work.

There is a product available called Tremanol which combines Valerian, Skullcap, Passionflower, Vitamins B2 & B12 and Folic Acid. I am not familiar with its use but this combination might have a good synergistic effect.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ltwickey if I am allergic to alpha and beta blocker meds should I also not be using the alpha and beta blocker herbs? I just have never thought of that before.

• dipat2005

@jolanta.wittib I haven't noticed my familial tremor so much since I went to the acupuncturist.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@ltwickey Could you explain the reason that beta blockers are prescribed for tremors? It is my understanding that beta blockers block the release of stress hormones such as adrenaline or epinephrine. Is there too much hormone in the body that is causing the tremors?

@dipat2005 Most of the herbs prescribed for hypertension are not using the same mechanism of action as beta blockers. Herbs are generally using other methods of reducing BP such as anti-inflammatory, vasodilator, diuretic, anxiolytic, cardiotonic, etc. Rauwolfia is an exception as it reduces the body's absorption of norepinephrine. While it is not quite the same action as a beta blocker, you might want to avoid or use caution with that one. However, it is often the case that when whole herbs are be taken, they don't have the same side effects as the constituents that are extracted from them to make pharmaceuticals. Following is a link to a very technical study done on some of the more commonly used hypotensive herbs.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4717468/

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

KP Khalsa specializes in neurology so she might want to schedule an appointment with him.

There are many possible reasons for a tremor. It's important to see a neurologist to rule out anything degenerative. Once they've ruled out anything degenerative most neurologists won't be a huge help otherwise (at least holistically).

Holistically speaking, there could be any number of reasons why someone has a tremor. The common suggestion is to use an anti-anxiety approach, but that might only be helpful if the tremor has an anxiety component...or Vata imbalance in Ayurveda.

If someone has nerve degeneration or nerve aggravation, they may not need anti-anxiety herbs or sedatives. It may be due to inflammation - excess Pitta in Ayurveda - in which case, an anti-inflammatory approach might work better.

Though, more often than not, in cases like these, there are multiple things going on energetically. I.e., excess Vata pushing too much Pitta in Ayurveda.

The other issue is whether the tremor is because there is an issue with the peripheral nerve or due to excess brain activity. So in the case of the former, you'd probably want to use herbs that are anti-inflammatory as well as nurturing to tissue (like gotu kola aka "brahmi")...if it's a brain problem, then an herb like calamus (used for epilepsy) or bacopa (the other "brahmi") might be better.

This is why it is usually best to seek help from a highly experienced practitioner than try to troubleshoot it over the Internet...especially with neurological stuff. That's why I recommend KP, he's had a lot of experience with this.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

Dear @torey @Gail @ltwickey @dipat2005 @stephanie447 Thank you very mich for your insights and advice: homeopathy, acupuncture, Ayurveda, herbs. Actually there are many options to try out. My neighbour she has already been to a neurologist. I will have another conversation with her and see what sounds most appropriate to her. She believes in herbs. I have to find out what she thinks of acupuncture, homeopathy, Ayurveda. Whether she is aware of all these possibilities.

I am convinced that one has to believe in treatment, then one actively contributes to healing. This dialogue is very useful to me and gives a lot of insight and information and material to read. Thank you once again!

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

@jolanta.wittib Please let us know if your neighbor has success with any of the things she tries. My mother-in-law is so plagued by essential tremor. One of her chief joys in life was writing cards and letters of encouragement to people; sadly she is no longer able to do that since her writing is so shaky.

• ltwickey

@dipat2005 I will need you to expound on your allergic reaction symptoms in order to try to figure out the "exact" culprit and see if the reaction would occur with the herbs.

@torey you are correct about the mechanism of action for beta blockers on blood pressure. But the mechanism of action for essential tremors is not fully understood, but believed that the medication works directly on the sensory units of the muscles.

• dipat2005

@ltwickey I was taking Betagan for my glaucoma and it gave me such a bad migraine that it made me very angry. I stopped it immediately and went to the eye doctor. I always listen to my body

The Cardura I took was for a bladder problem I was experiencing and I suddenly awoke in the middle of the night with a heartbeat of 120.

Alphagan (glaucoma) was a blurry vision reaction.

• jowitt.europe

@dipat2005 could you tel more about your experience by acupuncturist. Was it once, or did you have some reguliariai procedures? The woman I wrote about would very much like to try acupuncture.

• jowitt.europe

@Gail H sorry to hear about your mother in law. It is really sad to hear that somebody cannot continue with some hobby or some activity giving joy because of the health state.

• ltwickey

@dipat2005 It sounds like a sensitivity vice an allergic reaction to the medications. If I had to guess, I would say you are probably quite drug naive, meaning you don't take a lot of medications. So, when you take medications your body tends to "over-react" to them.

Maybe in the future discuss with your provider and maybe start at half the normal dose.

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

I'll second the homeopathy suggestion. I'd also see a Bowen practitioner to make sure everything is in its proper place. It can work wonders for neurological disorders. If there's not one in your area, cranio-sacral may help too or micro-current which is a bit pricey to buy but it is very useful for so many things that it should pay for itself.

• jowitt.europe

@Sharie thank you for your advice!

• EstherCook
    EstherCook Posts: 4 ✭✭✭

Vitamin D might help. I found large doses of Vit. D as a remedy on Duck Duck Go search for Adult Autism. Omega3 is likely needed, especially EPA. Cut down as much as you can on processed foods full of unsaturated fats and Omega 6.

This is opinion based on what I have read, zero clinical experience. I would love to find out what actually happens.

• Teresa
    Teresa Posts: 1 ✭✭✭

CBD oil might help (from the hemp plant). It has helped others with tremors. It might be worth a try.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

Theresa! Welcome to the TGN forum! I would like to encourage you & @EstherCook to leave a short intro and perhaps while there, review our Rules & FAQ.

I'll leave you with two easy to use links below:

https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/our-front-porch-welcome%21-%28please-read-before-posting%29

https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/introductions

• jowitt.europe

I have recently watched a forum on detoxification and detox with zeolite (pure, not capsules) was mentioned as a means to help even against Parkinson’s. Has anybody any experience with zeolite?