hand sewing

Gail H
Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2020 in Hobbies: Indoor & Outdoor

Since the garden is quiet this time of year, I have been revisiting hand sewing. I have found that I love to sit in a sunny window in the morning and sew. The morning light seems much easier on my eyes for sewing and I play inspirational music while I sit and sew for an hour or so. I suppose I could listen to a podcast or something, but I like listening to calming music like hymns and Christmas carols . It's becoming a very precious part of my day when I forget the cares of the world.

I just finished a pair of felted wool slippers and next I'm going to try a handkerchief. My favorite blouse is too worn to wear anymore, but there are still good sections of fabric. I have looked up a tutorial for making a rolled hem and I will give that a try. Of course, there is the wonderful art of mending to consider as well.

I do have a sewing machine and use it frequently, but doing these small projects by hand is proving to be quite satisfying.

Comments

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Gail, I agree completely, those little moments are so precious and way too far apart in my case and opinion!!

I have found on my days off, and if the weather cooperates, sitting on my back deck with my morning coffee and my latest crochet project, sets the stage for the day to be much more pleasant.

Hearing the sounds of nature, feeling the warm sun, fresh air, and just me and my yarn.... if only it could last longer than an hour on 2 days per week....

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I let life get in the way too much. I need to set aside thses precious tiems to enjoy ther simple things, sewing, crocheting and just the silence of a beautiful moring or evening to reflect and enjoy.

Growing up on a hill (with less TV and other distractions) winter was a time to create. We often would get snowed in and it would take weeks to get off the hill. The neighbors would get on a snowmobile and go hosue to house to get orders for any supplies people might have forgot about to get them through a week or two. It was a time to really enjoy crafting silence and life.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some hand sewing projects on my list for after I finish my latch hook rug.

I feel that I am racing the clock to get things done before when/if my severe hand arthritis makes these crafts impossible.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

I have a question. How do you make it so the stitches are really sturdy? Cause when I hand sew, the stitches are not sturdy at all, but I love the idea of hand sewing! Does anyone have any tips? Thank you!!

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

@COWLOVINGIRL For my slippers I used button thread and backstitched the soles in place. Smaller stitches help too. The handkerchief that I'm starting won't need anything but tiny stitches to secure the hem. There won't be any tension on the stitches.

• nksunshine27
    nksunshine27 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

I used to sit and darn socks during the winter. but now working on turning jeans into quilts

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, thanks for the tip @Gail H!

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

@nksunshine27 do you have a pattern or picture of your jean quilt? I have always wanted to do that. Thanks

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I love to hand sew too. I find machine sewing kind of stressful( though very useful for big projects!) but hand sewing is so peaceful. Embroidery is my favorite, but I also mend, and sometimes sew dolls or puppets. Here's some friends I sewed back in the spring when my job was closed.

Actually, I sewed the elephant and frog a few years ago, but they wanted to be in the picture with the new ones.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

LaurieLovesLearning I love your chicken! Also, love the fact that your kids are not so "modern" that all they want to play with is electronic toys.

Unfortunately, my hand sewing is terrible. Was like that even before the arthritis and other issues came along. I can make something work (hems, etc.) but it won't be pretty for sure.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning also loving your rooster! I don't suppose you'd be willing to share your grandma's pattern? I've always wanted to make a hobby horse.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

@VickiP & @blevinandwomba Thanks! I really love how he turned out. It was really a surprise that he would have such a personality!

@blevinandwomba I would have to do some looking. I think it is hidden in the deep, dark, scary recesses of storage. I am pretty sure I know where it is.

I will PM you.

• tilathehunn
    tilathehunn Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

I much prefer and get so much more satisfaction from hand sewing than a cold, unforgiving machine. I understand the benefits and time saving principal of using a machine but since i do handwork for stress relief the machine is not my go to.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

I'm starting sewing lessons this Friday😋

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Love the sock rooster! I think I will make one for my grandson!!

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

What a lovely idea. I have never done much hand sewing except for hemming things and mending in a long time. Years ago my daughter took up counted cross stitch and made some beautiful projects. I've done a little embroidery. I enjoy also knitting, but have numerous unfinished kitting projects. Some I don't even know where the directions are anymore.

I also tend to let life get in the way too much. Just sitting in the sun and sewing sounds peaceful.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited January 2021

We found the hen! I started a blue one too but never finished her.

This hen's neck got very skinny. It was stiff originally. I still have not figured out a way to stiffen it again without inserting something hard, which I don't want to do for safety purposes. The blue hen will have a thicker neck.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭

That's so cool! It sounds like a lovely and peaceful hobby. I'd like to learn how to sew myself. I've only hand sewn buttons back onto a vest and they are far from professional looking haha. I think it would be cool to learn how to embroider too.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

LaurieLovesLearning Are your sock chickens actually made from socks or are you knitting them? They are adorable. Would love the pattern if you are willing to share.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@vickeym These are made from actual socks.

I just dug out my patterns. I have to translate my written scribbles as they are a complete mess. 🤯 It is how I wrote things down as I figured it out. 😬 So, it looks more like a rough draft!

I will rewrite it. Hopefully it will be good enough to be able to follow. At least the drawings are good.

I think that at one point, I was considering putting things together to try to sell my pattern, and/or maybe a kit. I still might do that at some point once I have an Etsy shop set up. It would be much easier for me & more efficient cost wise to sell the pattern or a kit over the finished bird!

I will pm you.

• happy-trails
    happy-trails Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Gail H - that sounds like a wonderful routine to have in the morning! Yes, that calming spiritual music that brings calm upon our souls, as sunlight streams in... I'm thankful that despite turbulent times in our world, we can still have inner peace. I have experience on a sewing machine, but not so much by hand, other than light hemming and stitching/repair work. I have niece and nephew and would love to make a cute stuffed animal for both of them! Did you teach yourself to sew?

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here have any experience with hand quilting? I haven't tried it myself yet...I am impressed that's how they quilted everything back in the day!

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

@stephanie447 I hand quilted in the past. I prefer the look but it is time consuming (but relaxing!) Once you get used to doing it you can get your stitches to have the same length.

Growing up on a hill where you could get snowed in and where we often did not have a TV (Dad thought they were a waste of time) you could sit and stitch the evening away while listening to a radio

My relatives used to use old clothing to make quilts so you could look at a quilt and see your favorite dress.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning I absolutely love the rooster and the tiny hobby memory horse!