What did this year bring to me?

jowitt.europe
jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

What did this year bring to me?

Yesterday we had a discussion with my husband about this year. It started with a kind of a wish to erase this year from our lives: no travels, no family visits, very restricted cultural activities, meeting friends only on-line...

But then I thought of the lessons which I learned during the year. 

Flexibility! Creativity! Quietness! Time for reflection! Not to focus too much on something planned. Always leave space to changes, adaptations, even cancellations of planned activities. And not to be unhappy about it. Every loss is a new experience and new discovery, new start. And not to plan too much. Just flow with a stream. Enjoy the moment. 

Just being satisfied with what one has and what one can do and making the most of it. 

Reevaluating the values, what is most important in life. There is so much one can do without. Or even live better without. Reevaluate routines. And traditions. Every day can be Christmas when the family or close ones come together. Everyday can be a birthday. Everyday can be celebrated. 

To my opinion Health and Love are the basis for happiness. One can build everything on that basis. 

This community is about health and care for each other. It is one more treasure which I discovered this year. Happy New Year to everybody. Stay healthy and love yourself, your close ones, nature, all the creatures.. whoever or whatever you choose to. 

Tagged:

Comments

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jolanta.wittib very beautifully put! I am very grateful that both my dad and I were able to stay healthy and have time together. Also I am grateful for the lessons I learned the main one is less is more.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

@jolanta.wittib I thought about posting a thread about what we learned or were thankful for through this past year. I didn't. But, I see that you naturally had the same thought.

Thank you for bringing up the fact that 2020 wasn't a complete loss & that there is still good if you take a moment to reflect.

It has been just over one year since TGN made big changes to the forum. I believe that it has been a positive force for building community not only online but beyond as well. May we become stronger as we move forward into the new year.

As for myself, I have learned a lot about the plants that surround me. I have learned a lot more about human nature too...and have been reminded that those things that we often take for granted are not always going to be there. I have been reminded that good friendships are immeasurable and should be cherished.

I have learned that less is more. I have learned to focus even more on the simple things (which I am drawn to anyway), the well being of others, and what is indeed most foundational. I have a hunger to pursue these things even more. I believe that these things are going to become more important and precious in the coming year(s).

I am sure that there is more, but words just aren't forthcoming, so I'll let it be.

I want to wish each & everyone of you a happy new year. I want to thank each of you for being uniquely you & gracing us all with your presence as we continue to learn together! 🎆🎉

• jowitt.europe

@LaurieLovesLearning Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I couldn’t agree more. I am very optimistic this morning. A feeling that everything will be fine.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@jolanta.wittib Thank you for your inspiring post.

When I read the title, my first thought was patience!

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@jolanta.wittib well said. I think it helps if your a glass half full kind of person! We all have a choice and are responsible for making that choice. Choosing optimism, positivity, kindness and compassion, would keep most of us in good stead. Self care is very important, staying healthy is important and sharing your love. Have a great year.

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

2020 taught me some things for sure. It showed me that I am rarely lonely, but being forced to be away from friends and family can bring that feeling out in me. I learned I am much stronger than I thought. I learned that moving from a home of 20 years is physically painful. I learned that things happen in their own time, and for a reason. I learned that thankful can and should be a perpetual state.

Physical things that 2020 brought me were a new home, a kitten, a puppy, and land of our own to garden.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

2020 was a good year to learn about resilience, learn what products (seeds, canning lids, canners, etc.) should be obtained ahead of time, spend more time in the garden.

I know that I have a much better idea of supplies that can fail under stress. I would never had guessed that we'd have a seed shortage! In the future I will keep more seeds around "just in case".

• Wendy
    Wendy Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

For me, 2020 was all about the sky.

I saw the International Space Station twice, so many beautiful moon phases, and the Northern Lights. I camped under the stars, and waved to Jupiter nightly from my deck. While camping, my four year old granddaughters woke us up at midnight to star gaze - and we saw shooting stars as well. My husband and I gazed at over a dozen sunsets and sunrises, and watched a distant lightning storm in the upper clouds.

• jowitt.europe

@Wendy what an excellent place to be during lock up. We consider our home to be in nature, but the light pollution is still too high to be able to enjoy being part of the universe. And the Northern lights. I still hope to see them during my lifetime!

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

I learned that if I cut down on commitments and go to sleep by 9 and stay in bed until 7 I can almost function as a healthy person. Modern life was just too busy for me.

• jowitt.europe

@Annie Kate I can feel what you mean. I left my modern world some 10 years ago. I left behind meetings, documents, getting up early, going to bed late.

I entered my world of herbs and garden full time. Going to bed when I am tired, waking up after sleeping well, slowing down in winter, active in spring and summer... I can’t say that I have reached the inner peace which I am attempting to, but I am on a good way. And there is so much time to enjoy the beauty and sense of life...