Candida overgrowth

herbantherapy
herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

I have been told I have Candida overgrowth. It is mostly affecting my skin. But after researching I can now relate several other nuisances I put up with are likely due to this overgrowth as well!

It has taken a long time to determine. I haven’t taken any antibiotics in 18 years, I’m not on medications and I haven’t been on a contraceptive pill in over 20 years, though I was on depo until 8 years ago.

I don’t have a sweet tooth so I rarely indulge in dessert and I am gluten intolerant so I don’t eat breads and pastas unless it’s from a sourdough starter exclusively and made with einkorn flour.

Anyhow, I’ve been put on a very restricted diet for the next 6 to 9 weeks and have to cut out red meat among a dozen others things. I can eat fish (though no one says what kind which I find odd because I know some fish are very high in mercury, but I guess mercury doesn’t feed Candida so the research on fish is not specific) and I can have the white meat of poultry and no pork.

What I’m wondering is if lamb is considered a red or white meat? I can’t find a solid answer and no one has an answer as to wether I can eat it during the 6 week restriction. I just bought a lamb and my freezer is full of it! I don’t have to eat it now I’m just wondering for diversity of food choices if I can eat lamb or not.

Also if anyone has experience with successfully eliminating Candida overgrowth please share your tips with me!

I know there are some herbs that will support me in the long run but I wonder if there are any that can really kick the yeast out of me like a cleanse?

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@herbantherapy Candida diets are not all the same and can be confusing. Some are longer than others. Some allow foods that other candida diets do not allow.

This isn't quite the same but.... A friend of mine was on a very restrictive diet while she was being tested for allergies. Lamb was on her very short list of foods that she could eat during this time as it was considered a neutral protein.

This is a link to an article by KP Khalsa on candida. There might be some suggestions for you. https://internationalintegrative.com/herbal-remedies-for-candida-and-athletes-foot/

Gaia Herbs has a Candida cleanse but I am not familiar with the product.

I will PM you.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

@herbantherapy I took Mycozil for about 6 months maybe longer. It worked well. It's from Global Healing Center. They're capsules but they do have a hint of licorice to them. My daughter hates licorice but she took them too.

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

Garden of Life has a flora cleanse that helps break down yeast, including candida. https://www.gardenoflife.com/flora-cleanse-vegetarian-capsules

They have a probiotic formula that also has a yeast digesting blend in it. https://www.gardenoflife.com/products/our-probiotics/raw-probiotics-vaginal-care-shelf-stable-vegetarian-capsules

If it were me, I would start there. Balancing the digestive tract has helped several ladies I know with this issue.

• happy-trails
    happy-trails Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

I know there is a spectrum of severity, but for a couple of my friends, just eating plenty of fermented, probiotic-rich foods helped clear up their symptoms quickly (within 1-2 weeks). Avoiding yeast ferments (like kombucha) is advised while cleaning up the problem, from the research I've read. I wonder if you could do intermittent fasting for a couple weeks while eating safe foods like pastured eggs, veggies, bone broth, juicing veggies as well... of course plenty of water, keeping the body alkaline and mineral-rich. I'm not sure about sprouted rice as well? I'm thinking along the lines of starving the candida of any food source to continue thriving on. I wish I had more info for you.. so sorry you're dealing with this issue! I hope you get well soon. That is not a fun problem at all. 💟

• herbantherapy

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and thoughts! My journey is just beginning but I think it will be a beautiful drive!!

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had problems with candida, too. Lamb was allowed on the diet I did. Both kombucha and water kefir cause a horrible reaction. Donna Gate's The Body Ecology Diet did very well for me. Marjory did an interesting interview with her on one of the summits.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @herbantherapy, I found out, quite unexpectedly, that epsom salts foot baths with tea tree oil help for athlete's food and toenail fungus--if you have those issues as most of us with candida do, then you might want to add that to your regimen. And if you have mostly skin candida, a full bath like that once a week might help, too. But I'd seek advice if you want to do it everyday. I don't know if tea tree oil will kill good 'buggies' as well; if it does you don't want to do it too often.

It can be a long haul, and my experience is that a cleanse is not a cure; you will have to eat sensibly and live a healthy, happy, outdoorsy life as well, to keep things down once the protocol is over. That being said, it is so GOOD to feel GOOD again! I hope that things work for you and that you soon feel super good.

• herbantherapy

So far everything is going well as far my mental ability to do the protocol. I have not seen any reverse in symptoms yet but it has only been a week.

No coffee. 82 oz water. 4 cups of tea (1 green tea and 1 anti inflammatory). A protein shake. IF 16:8. No breads. No sugars. No starches. No dairy. No ferments

I miss butter most, then pickles, sourdough toast and finally coffee (but maybe I just miss the heavy cream?) Thankfully all those items can be reintroduced after the protocol is over. I make my own sourdough so I know it’s fermented with ancient grains and no sugar so it will be ok for me later on.

I have been tired and in a brain fog but I’m taking it easy and taking naps. Yesterday I got out in the garden and got a lot done so I’m on the upswing!

• Owl
    Owl Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

I have been dealing with candida overgrowth for years. I take candidastat periodically and follow much the same diet as you except I don’t seem to have a problem with ferments. When I did the elimination diet I discovered that wild game is allowed and got on a list with the local butcher to claim unclaimed deer meat. They explained to me that their freezer space is extremely limited and they depend on meat being picked up in a certain time frame so I signed up. We have been blessed to have enough venison to last year round. I realize that not everyone lives as rural as I do but it has been very helpful for my family so I had to suggest this way to be able to eat meat again.

• jwellsy
    jwellsy Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

Dr. Jones at the HomeGrownHerbalist.net just did a fantastic webinar on different cleanses which included a segment on candida. You could contact them if you have specific questions.

https://homegrownherbalist.net/?s=candida&post_type=product&title=1&excerpt=1&content=1&categories=1&attributes=1&tags=1&sku=1&orderby=date-DESC&ixwps=1

• Torey

@jwellsy Welcome to TGN's forum!

• My husband was just researching candida today and found this helpful article on the roles garlic and oregano oil can play in winning the battle against candida overgrowth.

https://www.sinussurvival.com/herb-excellent-anti-fungal-natural-antibiotic/

• There is a lot of information out there about Candida overgrowth. It is the cause of many ailments that are misdiagnosed as other diseases such as sore joints or arthritis, eczema, etc. My husband and I only use natural cures and prevention. In perfect health, we are now in our late 60's and take no prescription or over the counter drugs. All drugs and vaccines are acidic. The more any natural herb, food or spice is processed, the more it looses its medicinal value. Which is why we stick to teas, extracts and essential oils. With that said, candida loves processed and artificial sugar. Candida loves an acidic body. Most of our society has a high acidic forming diet. The goal is to have a pH balance diet of 80% alkaline forming foods and only 20% acidic forming foods. The problem in the US, is diets are highly acidic. I would encourage you to eat a more alkaline forming diet. Lamb is sheep under a year old whereas mutton is over one year old. Both are slightly acidic forming whereas goat meat and most wild game is alkaline forming in the body. So you can eat your lamb, just keep the amount down to 3 ozs a day until you get your candida under control. Tenzingmomo.com sells a Candida cleanse tea. It is really good. Pao d' Arco tea also helps to get rid of candida. Spices like garlic and cinnamon also help to cleanse the body of candida. Focus on eating more alkaline forming foods and less acidic forming foods and you should clear up. Remember, natural health assists your body to heal itself and takes longer than western chemically based drugs. As for sugar, we eat only green apples; no fruit juice from concentrated (that is pure sugar); raw honey from a farmer (raw honey in stores is pasteurized); raw maple syrup; and stevia extract I make myself. I pray this helps you on your road to recovery.

• aecmg
    aecmg Posts: 1

I have been dealing with Candida for years. It presents as itchy and red in all my major cracks and crevices :o) I deal with the itchiness using a few drops of tea tree oil using coconut oil as the carrier (must have a carrier oil). I keep it in check by taking coconut oil orally. I take 4000mg a day via gelcap--2000 in the AM and 2000 in the PM. If I only take 3000mg a day, itchiness will start to present itself. It is organic, cold pressed unrefined coconut oil. It has been wonderful to finally be itch free. I will have flair ups, but I just pop an extra pill or two and apply a little coconut oil/ tea tree oil and life is good.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Welcome to TGN's forum @jenlaskowski81 @buzzardroostranch & @aecmg!

Please take a moment to head over & check out our Rules & FAQ area. This both keeps our community a comfortable & safe place to visit & helps you with any questions that you might have as you navigate the forum.

https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/our-front-porch-welcome%21-%28please-read-before-posting%29

Then, I'd like to invite you to leave a short intro, telling us where you are from in the Introductions area. The purpose of this space is to help like-minded members connect on a more local level.

https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/introductions

• Torey
  • Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I came across some information a few months ago that really surprised me. Apparently boron is really important and extremely depleted from our soils. It helps get rid of candida! It is also very detoxing- at least it was for me. I’d look into it if I were you. Fixing a mineral deficiency can get right to the root of the problem!

• herbantherapy

Thanks for sharing your experiences and sources everyone!!! I’m almost at week 4 and my skin inflammation has all but gone away. There are still two dime sized patches next to my mouth that are swollen and scaly still.

I have more energy and I feel more alert. Plus I am handling stress in a calm even manner rather than full on anxiety! That’s a great side benefit to eating clean 😊

• earwig46
    earwig46 Posts: 4 ✭✭✭

As a wash I've used water + hydrogen peroxide 3% with a 9:1 ratio. For every cup liquid 1tsp of salt was added. This is also a very good mouthwash.

• earwig46
    earwig46 Posts: 4 ✭✭✭
  • frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

@herbantherapy I use the homeopathic remedy Graphites. You'll have to look it up online or go see a practitioner if you don't know about homeopathy.

• herbantherapy

@earwig46 what do you use this solution for? It sounds just like my toothpaste and mouthwash!