Hay waste

Carolyn
Carolyn Posts: 5

My rabbits waste so much hay! Most of the hay I give them ends up underneath their hutches. I've tried several different types of hay mangers. Have you found a solution to this problem? What kind do you use?

Tagged:

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good question. I hope to see some good suggestions here. (I am totally clueless!)

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Welcome, Carolyn! Please take a moment to head over to the Introduction section to leave a short intro or a mention of where you are from. While there check out the rules & FAQ in the Front Porch area. I will leave a link where you can find both below.

https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories

Now, I am a dairy cattle & chicken person, and we have figured out how to make the horse waste much less...but we don't have rabbits.

There are quite a few keepers here, including @Marjory Wildcraft, who has kept rabbits or currently keeps them. Hopefully, they can give you some helpful suggestions.

• solarnoon.aspen
    solarnoon.aspen Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

I have the exact same problem. Depending on the hay, whether it has lots of seed heads in it or not, I use this discarded hay -soaked in urine often, and mixed with poop - in the garden. If it does have lots of seed heads, though, it goes to the chicken yard where the seeds grow some nice grasses next season. However, this is still wasteful in my eyes. It is costly and I would rather the rabbits pass the hay through their digestive tract and make poop!!!

Someone I read suggested making metal racks and attaching them to the outside of the cage. Fill the rack with hay and the rabbit has to pull pieces through the cage wire. Apparently this causes less waste. I haven't tried it yet, but am getting ready to.

A neighbour has his rabbits on a wood floor - which is not recommended these days. However, in this one issue, it is a benefit, as there is no waste. He give them lots of hay and waits until they have finished before they get more.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin
    edited January 2021

Welcome to the forum @carolyn. You might want to add something to your name to help identify you from some of the other Carolyns here. There seems to be several others. Even if it is just a number or extra wording.

I'm afraid I have no experience with rabbits but maybe I can send you in the right direction. Check out "Raising Backyard Meat Rabbits" in TGN's Academy. Module 3 is about feeding. About 7.5 minutes to the video in she shows you how to make a simple hay feeding rack out of a recycled garden centre plant tray and a couple of zip ties.

Hope that helps both you and @solarnoon.aspen.

• Carolyn

FYI, I asked this same question on another forum and someone suggested hay cubes.

• soeasytocraft
    soeasytocraft Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

Hi Carolyn and welome! I raise rabbits and have contemplated making a little hay rack to attach to the side of the cage. The idea is the rabbit pull out the hay as they eat it instead of tramping and messing in it. Sounds like a good idea but its only been on my mind and have not tried it.

It has not been a priority because our cages are hung above the chickens in their coop so the hay isn't really wasted. Saves me having to add as much to the chickens.

• Carolyn

I have tried six different hay racks.

• solarnoon.aspen
    solarnoon.aspen Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Carolyn

It sounds as if at least five of them were not a hit. If the 6th type worked out, please describe it or send a photo.

Thanks

• Carolyn

This one works the best so far. A couple of my rabbits have nibbled at the bag, but for the most part they don't.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083HTY5Q7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I may try the hay cubes next.