Natural ways to minimize wrinkles on the face

dipat2005
dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

I asked this question and this is the link that came up first:https://www.webmd.com/beauty/features/23-ways-to-reduce-wrinkles#1 Last year I didn't have nearly so many wrinkles. I could say they appeared from wearing a mask all the time. (not believable) but mine come from being younger (I hate older ) than the rest of you.

Any herbal suggestions: I did try mixing cocoa butter, coconut oil and shea lotion together on my own. Somewhere I read that Tea Tree oil is good to use. Any other ideas?

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@dipat2005 I'm probably not the best one to comment on this subject as I don't use anything on my face, except for a tiny bit of coconut oil in the winter if it is drier than usual. I think exfoliation is a good habit. It doesn't have to be harsh; it can be done with a soft towel. Face massage is another good technique for keeping those muscles in tone.

However, I had this recipe in my files cause I thought it looked like a good one and Rosalee explains the reasoning behind all the ingredients. https://learningherbs.com/remedies-recipes/self-heal/

Argan oil is very good for all skin types and is very nourishing for the skin. The seed oils are in quite a few natural products for skin care; raspberry seed, carrot seed, rose seed, etc. Carrot seed oil is in some natural sun screen products.

Be careful with tea tree oil. Use it in a very low concentration for face products.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

After watching some movies with older female stars, I think I should hand out soft-focus lenses to any of my visitors. I'm sure I would look both radiant and less wrinkled if I was viewed through those lenses.

Seriously though, there are expensive, possibly toxic, products on the market that do wonders to reduce wrinkles.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

Drink a lot of water, eat healthy, sleep enough, don't stress. That doesn't get rid of them, but it does minimize them, I find. And, of course, wear a hat when in the sun but that's more a preventative than helpful for once you get older.

• dipat2005

@torey thank you for the recipe. I am not able to use essential oils at all. I will ask at my local health food store (I have been using them since the 1970's). Thank you for the comment about the movie stars. I do think I lack in the sleep and stress department. I also wondered if I should use collagen too?

• Torey

@dipat2005 You could always leave out the EOs in a recipe and just use the nut or seed oils. The self heal in the recipe is a more important ingredient, I think, than the EOs.

Just to clarify, the raspberry seed, carrot seed, etc. that I mentioned are pressed oils, not distilled as EOs are. If I were to make Rosalee's recipe without EOs I might add in a bit of carrot seed oil to improve the sun protection properties.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I drink lots of water and use Rosehip oil at night and lotion with Palmarosa during the day which is consider a skin healing essential oil.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

When your gut health is following a good (plant-based for me) diet of your choosing, get plenty of rest and sleep, and reduce stressors. I do not use lotions to reduce wrinkles because your skin may become dependent on them, therefore, it may be costly. Make your own private creams may be efficient and therefore healthier for your body.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

The winter is so hard on my skin. If you have the time, do a facial steam with boiling water and a towel over your head. Throw in herbs like lavender and dried rose petals. It’s very relaxing and my skin glows afterwards. It’s even better on a lazy afternoon when you’ve done a mask and some light exfoliation. You will glow and feel so relaxed.

A honey mask is great too. Tape the honey on lightly, let it ooze and do it’s thing, and rinse it off gently.

Barring all that, taking out my contacts works wonders too 😂

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

For those that don't have issues with essential oils, we made cold process soap with sweet orange, cinnamon leaf and clove essential oils and I noticed that my wrinkles were less when I washed my face with it. The soap also smelled amazing!

• happy-trails
    happy-trails Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Animal fats are incredible for our skin, both consuming it and using it topically! I believe tallow and mink oil are closest to the oils our skin produces naturally, so our skin readily drinks it up and is nourished by it. Using tallow with a couple drops of helichrysum essential oil has greatly improved the appearance, suppleness, and health of my skin. I don't wear makeup, but a friend commented that it looked like I was wearing makeup because my skin was glowing, after using that combo! I do believe that doing things for our skin's health internally is more important than merely topical applications. The skin is our largest organ, so I try to take care of it by eating quality fats like tallow, schmaltz, duck fat, ghee, olive oil, coconut oil... also juicing veggies, consuming bone broth, collagen, cod liver oil, vitamin C, bitters to support the liver (which in turn benefits our skin), probiotic-rich foods like kefir and sauerkraut, kvasss, etc... and resveratrol, and plenty of anti-oxidants!

• Wendy
    Wendy Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

I use only coconut oil, olive oil, or aloe on my face, never makeup. While I have a few wrinkles at age 55, my skin is glowing and I get complimented on not looking my age. I also don't act my age by dancing, singing, and playing freely wherever I go.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Sugar can creates those wrinkles so I don't indulge very often in any. Hyaluronic acid is great! I use something called MSM Rejeuvenator Anti-Aging Skin Cream. Like others here, I don't use anything on my face or for anti-aging, except if I get sunburnt. It's the most amazing product! It also healed up my son's legs when he was in a boat explosion. You can only see the scars where he didn't apply it.

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

I loved the "soft-focus lense" idea. LOL! it makes me smile just to think of it. Actually smiling can make your face look a lot better. Wrinkles or no wrinkles, smiling seems to be more pleasant to look upon.

• dipat2005

Thank you for all of the suggestions. Amazing how many things are so good for our skin. I thought my wrinkles were because I smiled so much. (Just kidding). I do smile a lot though. It is our winter reading time at the local library so I have been laughing my way through the books!

• Torey

I was just looking at Pycnogenal for another discussion and discovered that it might help improve the elasticity of the skin. This is a link to a study on the subject. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22270036/

But if you are going to use this or a similar product, make sure you do your research and a skin test if it is a topical product.

Pycnogenal possible side effects: dizziness, vertigo, fatigue, gastrointestinal issues, nausea, irritability, headache, drowsiness, mouth ulcers, skin irritation, lower blood sugar levels, urinary issues. People should avoid Pycnogenal if you: are pregnant or breastfeeding, have an autoimmune condition, have a bleeding condition, have diabetes, are within two weeks of a scheduled surgery, have liver issues or have a heart condition.

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

I just made this salve. I don't know if it will get rid of wrinkles, but I really like it on my face!

https://thelostherbs.com/garden-homemade-salve-for-wrinkles/

• dipat2005

@SherryA Thanks for the link. I will have to make substitutions if I use that recipe. I forgot to mention that my skin is super sensitive and I can rarely use anything on it. I appreciate the ingredients though as it gives me great ideas!

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

I was just reading up on Acmella Oleracea or toothache plant and discovered it is also used in skin creams. It is reputed to be good for dermatitis, apparently it is an anti inflammatory. It is also used in some antiaging skin care products as it seems to relax facial muscles thus reducing fine lines and wrinkles. I haven't tried it but it is intriguing.

• Melissa Burford
    Melissa Burford Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

Hydration, hydration, hydration.

• dipat2005

@Melissa Burford that is something I am not very good at. I am try to be much better. Thanks for the reminder.

• dipat2005

@VickiP thank you for the comment about the toothache plant. Sounds interesting. I will look into it.

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

I have been looking into it as well, haven't made any purchases but defiantly interested.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

This might sound strange but I think it could be linked to oral health. I started using tooth powder and Rivitin toothpaste probably 2 years ago now. People have told me how much younger I look as well as my hygienist telling me how my gums and teeth are so much better. Then, about 3 months ago I added baking soda to my toothbrushing regime and I've noticed less fine lines on my face and when I had my teeth cleaned a couple weeks ago all she did was scrape off stains with very little tarter.

I also use face oils morning and evening that I buy. They definitely keep my face from drying out.

• snoek
    snoek Posts: 3 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

Hemp seed oil : take a few spoonsful daily (quantity depends on your size) - the first time in my whole life I have ever had compliments about my skin - & from total strangers! Repeatedly!! Great for hair, skin, & nails; makes skin incredibly soft.

As to wrinkles, Collagen was working wonders for me....until they stopped making the caps I was using. I have not been able to find a replacement which uses a source which my system can tolerate, but have definitely noticed a difference since I have not been taking this.

• Torey

Welcome to TGN's forum @snoek.

• sonbyrd
    sonbyrd Posts: 29 ✭✭✭

I won't lie. I have wrinkles! I do wish I had discovered amaranth oil when I was younger because that is what seems to help me from getting MORE wrinkles. ha. Plus, drink lots of water.

Also, I agree with another commenter when she advised to be careful with the tea tree oil on the face. It's not so good sometimes. It can be caustic and actually harm skin that is sensitive. And that's exactly why it's often used in cleaning recipes.

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

Consume collagen or bone broth every day and wrinkles will start fading and new ones will be prevented.

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 1 ✭✭✭

It sounds like you have a lot of new dynamic wrinkles, possibly due to the new stressors of 2020? It's my understanding that these types of wrinkles can only be prevented by not moving the facial muscles responsible, which can be achieved by using Frownies (https://www.frownies.com/). It's a Botox alternative, and I can tell you with 100% certainty that they work. I have used both (Botox and Frownies), and they do achieve the same goal. The difference is that you need to use Frownies almost daily, indefinitely, unless your facial muscles become retrained to not move so much. I achieved this using both, so I don't use Botox or Frownies anymore, but I am not sure that just Frownies would've been enough for retraining. However, I do notice that stressful sleep = face wrinkles for me, so it would be very useful to learn when you make the offending facial movements after you have smoothed them out using Frownies! Clay masks that dry stiff are also a hack I discovered that instantly makes my forehead wrinkles less severe. I currently use French green clay.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin
    edited February 2021

Welcome to the forum, Mary, @snoek @Tammy Bushey! Please take a moment to become familiar with our forum's rules & FAQ and leave a short introduction so that you can possibly meet with like minded people in your area as well if you wish. I will leave a couple links below for your convenience.

Rules & FAQ: https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/introductions

Intros: https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/introductions

• Tammy Bushey
    Tammy Bushey Posts: 1 ✭✭✭

Howdy, I am turning 53 at the end of this week and so far have no wrinkles, my skin is evenly toned and I even got rid of my dark spots

How? for the last, oh, 10 years, I have only used coconut oil on my face!

I melt about a green pea size amount in my hand and just gently cover your face, watching that you don't get any in your eyes>

It has saved me tons of money over the years, I use it for my face, eyes and lips.

try it for a month and see if you notice any difference

hope that helps