Does anyone use Jiaogulan (Gynostemma pentaphyllum)?

jowitt.europe
jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin
edited January 2021 in Other News

I have it for more than 5 years. When my herbal friend brought it to me, she said, “it is a herb of immortality. You chew a leave per day and you live forever”. Then I read about it. Chinese who drink Jiaogulan tea every day are among the longest living on Earth. Actively living. I have checked its name on Wikipedia. It says: “Among many common names are five-leaf ginseng, poor man's ginseng, miracle grass, fairy herb, sweet tea vine, gospel herb, and southern ginseng”. There is a lot of literature in German language as it seems to be very popular among German and Austrian herbalists. The literature says it is very good for circulatory system - against cholesterol, high blood pressure, prevents arteries and veins from clogging; prevention of cancer; it is boosting immune system; prevents diabetes and, and , and...

Of course one has to be careful if one takes medication. It has some ingredients similar to Ginseng. But, in comparison to Ginseng it is so easy to grow and costs nothing, especially if one has it on a window sill or in the garden.

I always have it fresh. In winter the plant is in my dining room and I just take a leave when I remember 😊. In summer it is in a herb bed and on my balcony. It grows like a wine. It is Cucurbitaceae family and looks nice. And it is very easy to multiply. I just dig out part of the root and plant in a separate pot.

I do not use any medications, only herbs, so I do take a leave per day, when I do not forget.

I would be interested to know if anyone uses it regularly or would not use it for whatever reason.

Comments