Home   |   About Us   |   The Grow System   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Store   |   Forum Rules

The gift of a few beautiful days — The Grow Network Community
If you are raising heritage poultry, The Livestock Conservancy is doing a census and requests your help.

The gift of a few beautiful days

Living in NW PA, just below the snowbelt we can have cold snowy impossible days. Then other winters are fairly nice. We have had very little snow and somewhat above warm temps.

For 4 days we will have temps in the high 30's and 40's (usually 20 degrees ) and no snow or rain. That mean a gift of working outside and being able to get things done.

I have moved one small chicken coop and run this morning. I have one more to move but the ground has to warm up a bit

I moved these in order to get a smaller greenhouse ready to set up. I had my place ready for the one greenhouse but it would be too close to a gas line, so a small greenhouse has to go in there and the land leveled a bit. With this weather I can get someone to level it for me.

When I go back out I will go through my trampoline parts and pick out 4 or 5 half hoops the same size to make a 20 or 325 foot long frame. I know I have to buy the wood framing for the base but I think I have all tehr other parts I need from foraging.

I also plan to work on another compost pike and put together a few raised beds made from pallets.

If the soil is not froze in the one area I want to move a few lemon balm plants. By then I will be ready for am rest or good book!

Comments

• ltwickeyltwickey Posts: 316 ✭✭✭

I'm in SE CT and the weather has been great for the past 2 winters. Though everyone has warned me that this is not the norm!!

But I do know the joy of having a break from bitter cold and snow. Just getting outside and getting fresh air is awesome, but add the sense of getting something accomplished... Heaven!!

Congrats!

• MaryRoweMaryRowe Posts: 423 ✭✭✭✭

I share the feeling! Bright sunny days this tie of year are a blessing to be cherished.Today and the next three are due to be unusually nice for winter in Missouri--can't decide which project first, but I think I'll start with a walk in my woods--can't hardly go wrong with that!

• Gail HGail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

The weather here is South Jersey is just glorious right now! Since we are in quarantine, my husband and I took a walk in the woods and tapped some maple trees. We never get much in the way of syrup, but I love the weather this time of year. When we get the "all clear", we'll head over to our daughter's place. She has a huge tree that produces a lot of sap.

• lewis.mary.elewis.mary.e Posts: 199 ✭✭✭

Yesterday and today have been beautiful here in Minnesota. It's making me itchy for spring. Since it's not time for planting seedlings, I am working on the planning part of our 2021 gardening. We are offering a CSA garden share this year, so I'm studying up on how to make it work for the people who have expressed interest.

• Denise GrantDenise Grant Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gail H today was also not as nice as they said, cold and dreary. I am not working outside but will go take a walk, maybe up at the Audubon. Thye have such lovely wildlife and plants there.

I love maple syrup time. I have such fond memories of doing it in my teens. It was a lot of work and both my brother and I would have collect sap after our shool actrivities - so in the dark! Weekends would be big bon fires across the road to boil the sap down. It would usually be all night events with the entire family and friends telling stories and being silly.

Whta I like about this time of year, if it's somewhat nice out is you see the lay of the land. Once grass starts to grow you don;t see what should be obvious. I use this time top look at the property and see what I can do to make it better and healthier

@lewis.mary.e I would also like to try a small CSA here. In these times they are needed. I live in a rust belt so fresh veggies can be hard to come by. I do teach garden classes when I can but they were in person and thats not happening in our area right now

I know I will be growing extra for food banks and even to place on a table by the road. I have made arrangements with a few of the food banks to give them a garden package for a garden and hopefully some extra veggie seedlings.

Good luck with your CSA plans. Where are you doing your research? And how many CSA boxes do you feel you will do? (I plan on staying very small this year so that I can work out any issues)

My second of 4 warm days was not warm. The sun did not come out and there was a wind. I decided to do one online class, order seeds ( I know - I don't need any, I just hate to think they are homeless.) and just stay warm.

Tomorrow is supposed to get to 41 degrees. A heat wave in my area in January. I need to finish sorting trampoline hoops for a greenhouse and move one more small chicken coop.Last night after I moved ther one coop those silly birds would not go bak in. I had to hand catch them and bribe them with cracked corn. Once this area has the coops moved and trampoline hoops sorted I can get it leveled for one greenhouse.