Create a book or journal

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2021 in Hobbies: Indoor & Outdoor

MY mother just went through one of her knitting books and removed what she wanted and asked me to toss the rest of the book. It has a beautiful cover and inside pages. I told her I wanted to look at it and may make a journal or family book from it. The binding and cover is in very good shape and I think I can repurpose it and turn it into a family treasure.

If you take a book in good shape and remove about every other page to give you "extra" space you can use a book to make a journal or photo album that is one of a kind. You need the extra space created by moving pages to be able to add items to the pages you redo.

Cover the back of any page with cloth, clean paper, photo collage, and so much more to capture moments in your life or family. It would also make a great gardening journal. The ideas are endless!

Comments

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

That makes good sense. We have a hard time giving up books, but there was one beautiful one (on the outside) with such lousy content I threw it in the garbage--i could have turned it into a gorgeous memory book.

• Monek Marie

@Annie Kate I love books and have a hard time tossing one but sometimes its so bad or get damaged. But if it can be recreated, what fun and a true keepsake!

• Wendy
    Wendy Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

What a great idea to reuse a book. My daughter found a book that was yellowed and damaged on the inside, although the cover was in good condition. She removed the insides, used a glue gun to add fabric to the ends, added a handle and clasp, and created a purse!

• Monek Marie

@Wendy What a cute and useful idea!

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@Denise Grant what a good idea. Never thought of that!

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

I actually did this for a dear friend a couple of months ago. The "book" I used was more of an 8" X 11" soft cover. I removed several of the pages and then made memory book pages of what remained. It turned out great and was a delightful way to make contact with a dear friend that I haven't been able to spend time with due to the pandemic.

• Monek Marie

@KimWilsonSounds wonderful!

I want to do a family history book. It would be nice to keep memories of children growing up too.

So many fun possibilities

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the great ideas. I made a journal for my granddaughter using a book from 1915 with beautiful covers!

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

How do you add the journal pages back into the book?

• Monek Marie

@herbantherapy

Take out about two or three pages and leave one, continue with book. That extra space gives you room to paste on the page left. I have added a sheet of white paper to the entire page, added collage, used some of original page if it fits in with what I am doing. I have painted it if I am just gluing to it. (I was not sure if pencil or marker would go over paint) By taking out a lot of pages you can add to any page, making it thicker without making the book bulge

You could probably add holes to the cover (if its soft) and put in pages with holes and tie with cord for a crafty look.