Have fish in an aquarium or aquaponics? Make them tea!

Tannins in Indian almond leaves are helpful in keeping the pH of the water low & adding antifungal & antibacterial qualities info the water. It also gives hiding spaces for fry & a place to lay eggs for some types of fish. It is a great water conditioner. However, a carbon filter will remove all its goodness...

https://www.aquariumsource.com/indian-almond-leaves/

You can either put the leaves directly into the tank (shrimp love eating them too) or make an extract to add to the water.

This makes me very excited as it would make keeping fish much easier in the future. My only problem is space. I need more space...

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning I like how you're thinking. However, as my husband has told me, if you have more space you get tempted to fill it.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

I determined long ago that I would finally just space our stuff out & get some things out of storage (hello, treadle singer!). I am really in need of nothing more.

If you consider that we had 7 (so 5 rapidly growing) people in approximately 800 square feet of living space and its filled with a lot of kid/teen trappings & homeschool books, I think you'd understand. It's just a tad squishy. We are now 6 people, but as we have one move on/out, another will "grow" into that space. 😂 Somehow they keep on growing.

• shllnzl

@LaurieLovesLearning It's a good thing you had the great outdoors for temporary expansion.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

My daughter wanted to do the aquaponics many years ago. She wanted a Beta fish. We got a plant that didn't mind having its feet wet, and a nice large glass vase. The plant was suspended in a plastic tray. I can't remember whether we ever got said Beta or not. Kind of think we did, but things didn't last very long.

• shllnzl

My aunt had the beta fish in a vase with a large aquatic plant that filled the opening of the vase nicely.

She went to feed the fish one day and noticed that it was missing, although the plant was still in place.

Beware of setting this up if you have cats!

• AngelaOston
    AngelaOston Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

Love this! Going to use a little in my aquaponic pond!

I live in the high desert. So having this oasis heslthy is amazing 😻